Chapter 21

Chapter 21

Kanine’s P.O.V.

I let out a sigh, not fighting back as the guy tied my hands back to the head board. My heart was aching terribly, screaming for blood. The scents that swam around the room made my mouth water. I could smell their blood, images of their veins flashing in my mind.

They sat a few feet away on a couple of old wooden chairs, whispering to each other as they stared at me. I turned my back to them, facing the wall. My wings were even sorer from the blow the girl brought last night. Slowly, I extended them and tucked them back in, trying to break them in. It was then that I really noticed how much darker my wings had become. They used to be a light brown, more like a hawk or eagle, now they were almost black, like a raven or crow. They stood out against my paler skin.

A new wave of pain shot through my body, making me cringe. I needed blood soon. I really didn’t want to find out what happens if I don’t get it. I tucked my knees to my chest and wrapped my wings around myself. Maybe I could just sleep through the pain.

I closed my eyes, waiting until sleep finally came.

***

I walked through the Facility, my bare feet cold against the cement floors. My bloodied uniform had been switched with a clean one and my wounds had been healed. The cells were deadly quiet, the experiments frozen inside them.

Scientists were still, stopped in the position of taking notes, chatting with each other, or pushing gurneys with experiments strapped to them. Only one sound echoed through the silent room; heavy breathing. Curious, I followed the sound to the end of the corridor, walking down a flight of stairs.

I had entered an entirely different room; white lights shining bright on the ceiling, cells lined one side of the room; the bars were replaced with glass. The heavy breathing came from the one at the end, four Scientists standing in front of it. Slowly, I walked towards it, the breathing becoming louder.

I pressed myself against the glass, my heart dropping to my stomach. Slash was on the other side, his wrist in chains that were attached to the walls on either side of him. He sat on his knees, his head hanging and his wings dull and lifeless by his sides. A muzzle was tied over his mouth. What had they done to him?

I looked around; at the end was a door, a keypad next to it on the wall. I walked over to it; pressing the numbers I have seen the Scientists press so many times before. It unlocked and slid open. Cautiously, I walked into the room, kneeling in front of Slash. I put my hand on the side of his face. He leaned into it, looking up at me. His dull, tired eyes flashed back to green for a mere second.

“Kanine?” he sighed through the muzzle. I nodded, trying to hold back some tears. He looked so hurt, so sad. Was this all my fault? Did I cause this?

“Yeah, bro, it’s me.”

“I miss you so much. I just can’t-“ a tear rolled down his cheek.

“I’m coming back for you. Just hang in there for a little longer.” I tried to smile, tears beginning to come to my eyes.

“I don’t think I can, Kanine, I just can’t.” his voice quivered.

“No! Don’t say that. I’m going to get you out of here. Stay strong, for me?” I couldn’t hold the tears back any longer. He nodded, more tears falling. It looked as if he was about to say something but everything began fading.

***

I shot up, sweat dripping down my face. My heart still pounded. Slash… he was in so much pain, so alone. It was my fault he was like that.

Kale and Helena still stared at me from a distance, sitting statue like on chairs. I needed to get out of here, to save my brother before it would be too late. I didn’t have time for these phsycopaths anymore.