58. One Condition

(Natalie's POV)

My eyes shoot open as I quickly gasp and sit up, awaking from being under simulation. The fear landscape is over, and I'm back in the large, dome-shaped room for real this time, panting.

Shit...

That last fear of mine was terrifying, my deepest fear. It felt so real seeing my sister's life in danger, being so close to her but yet not close enough to safely have her within my reach. It literally felt so real and ugly that my stomach is actually twisting in knots now. My heart is heavily beating, feeling like it wants to explode out of my chest.

From where Jeanine and my father are standing across the way, Eric begins walking over in my direction, but my eyes focus solely on Jeanine. It's her thoughts and opinion that matter most here... Well, Brian's, too... Jeanine wasn't the only leader I just killed in my fear landscape.

After everything they just watched and depending on how it looked to them on screen, my life could possibly be in real danger now. I may have just made everything worse.

Eric finally approaches me. I see that he doesn't actually have his gun and holster on him. I don't think any of the leaders do.

"You did fine," he says in a quiet voice. "Even with your last couple of fears, you shouldn't have anything to worry about."

"Are you sure?" I ask, and he nods, helping me down off the seat. "Why were you standing over there with them? I thought you were gonna stay close by me."

"I needed to be close enough to watch Jeanine's reactions and hear whatever she had to say, in case something unexpected did show up on screen. Luckily I was there. And no, they didn't seem pissed enough about your actions to want to have a serious discussion with you. You did what any other Dauntless would have done."

I look behind him over at Jeanine. She doesn't look too bothered by my results, but it's the way she discreetly tries to speak to my father that has my curiosity and concern.

"Are you sure?" I ask him.

He gives a small nod. "Yeah, I'm sure. I gotta head back over there now. If she does say anything, I'll take care of it."

"Yeah," I breathe. "Okay."

"Wait for me near The Pit. I'll come find you as soon as I'm finished here."

I look up and give a nod, but I spot Jeanine looking over at us once again. This time, however, she's lightly waving us over.

Oh, no. This can't be good.

"Eric," I breathe nervously. "She's calling us over."

He looks over his shoulder at her, then turns back to me. "Well... let's not keep her waiting. I'm sure it's nothing, but put your best poker face on, anyway. Remember, you're Dauntless. Act like it."

Side-by-side we walk over there together, my heartbeat racing through my chest. Jeanine stands in front with my father standing slightly behind her. Eric doesn't seem too concerned, but I can't help but feel like she's not exactly pleased with what she saw.

"Natalie," greets Jeanine, a faint smile accompanying my name. "Congratulations. You've successfully completed your final. I have to say, I'm impressed with what I saw today, despite certain actions played out on screen."

"You are?" I ask. Telling me she's impressed with what she saw is the last thing I'd expect from her.

"Of course," she replies. "I'll admit, I was a bit surprised to see myself in your last couple of fears, but, for reasons others may not have the ability to grasp, I can understand why I'd be present in them. My main concern, however, is why you'd fear your sister's life would ever be in danger."