Chapter 24

Chapter 24
Restless

"Anong—!"

"Shhh," he whispers as he covers my mouth, "don't shout, love. I understand you're happy to see me again, but I'm afraid our good-for-nothing teacher will give you another demerit for it. You wouldn't like that, now, would you?"

He removes his hand away from my face only to set it on top of his desk. He then places the palm of his other hand on his cheek, resting his head as his arm supports its weight. He looks at me with interest and I scowl.

"Anong ginagawa mo dito?" I whisper-shout, glaring at him.

He smiles in return. "Making sure you stay alive," he says. "I promised you, didn't I?"

Promised me? When did that happen?

"Did you forget already?" he asks as if reading my mind. I notice the change in his expression—like he's disappointed I don't remember. "Do you need me to remind you? You were on my bed, screaming, indignant that you stay—"

"I-I remember it perfectly," I stammer, speaking too fast, and maybe even blushing. Bakit kasi gano'n ang pagkakasabi niya? Parang may iba kaming ginawa. "You don't have to remind me. I'm good."

This is not the conversation I expect to have with him. I didn't even expect to have a conversation with him again.

I was fine when he wasn't around. Yes, he did save my life before and I am forever grateful for it. But I don't know what to believe anymore. Bigla-bigla nalang siyang magpapakita kung kailan niya gusto. And after an appearance, he'll just vanish without leaving any trace. I started thinking he's just a fragment of my imagination. I even convinced myself that my mind was just making things up because it can't handle what's happening around me. And he... he's just one of those things.

But look at him now.

Alive and well.

Now I know I'm not delusional. And now I wish I were.

If he's real, then that means I have to deal with whatever he's about to tell me. I have to get myself ready for the sudden kidnapping, taking me somewhere I don't know. Akala ko 'pag nagkita kami ulit, handa na ako na tanungin siya kung bakit niya ako kilala. Hindi pa pala. Dahil hanggang ngayon natatakot pa rin ako sa maaari niyang isagot.

But wait. Kung nandito si Daimon, ibig sabihin kasali siya sa Division's Competition. Well, duh. Of course, he is. What am I thinking? But it makes sense though. Sir Takano said there are more of us—them—ability users. It means we may not be the only one with an ability user in a team.

Like Daimon.

I'm certain now that he has an eye ability. Teleportation. Walang duda, teleportation nga.

"You've been thinking for quite some time now, love," he mumbles. Ngayon ko lang napansin na nakapatong na ang ulo niya sa lamesa at nakaharap sa akin. "Can you tell me what's on your mind?"

I tear my incredulous gaze away from him, trying to ignore his mischievous stare.

"Not telling me, huh?" he smiles. "You always like to tease."

"Please, don't call me love and don't talk to me," I say, not bothering to look at him, "we're in the middle of a class discussion."

"You're not even listening."

"I am listening."

"No, you're not."