Chapter 31 ~ Liam

Chapter 31 ~ Liam

I wake up with Tammy in my arms, her head resting on my torso and with my arms loosely wrapped around her. At the sight of her reddish and messy hair spread over my skin, a smile makes its way to my lips and I tighten my grip around her, kissing her forehead. It is still hard to believe that we are like this, that she is here with me. When we met I never thought we could end up like this and I’m glad that I never imagined it because it makes it sweeter now. I’ve fallen so hard for this girl, for this strong and so complex girl. A girl who doesn’t show the rest of the world what she hides under her masks. A girl who makes the world hate her because she can’t handle the disappointment of trying to make someone like you but not succeeding, so she doesn’t even try. A girl who has been so alone all her life but who nows has allowed me to keep her company.

Tammy stirs next to me, and when she looks up to meet my eyes, my smile is ever so wide. “Morning,” I tell her stroking her hair and she smiles back at me. “Ready to start the day?”

“Ugh,” is her reply and I laugh. “How’re you feeling today? Did the fever go away?” She asks next when she is a bit more lucid. Immediately, her hand goes to my forehead checking if everything is under control.

“Much better, thanks to you. You’re a fairly good nurse, Tammy,” I tell her and she smiles cockily

“I have many talents, Noob,” and she winks at me.

We stay in the bed for a little while before we get up and join the others. They are still a bit taken aback for Tammy being here, with me. They don’t talk to her and she doesn’t try to make conversation, nor she teases them. I guess she is trying to be ‘nice’ just for my sake. I don’t think my friends will accept what we have soon and Tammy won’t push them on that. She already believes the lads will never accept her, so she won’t even try; but I wish they could prove her wrong. I wish she would see how people could really like her if she lets them.

We have many things to do, interviews, promo, rehearsal, sound-check and shooting for the documentary. Kay tells me she is ready to work with me if I want and she even tells Tammy she could be in.

“I rather not,” she replies with a smile. “Let the noob shine. It’s his documentary.” And she winks at Kay who laughs but then she groans.

Apparently, that party last night was pretty epic and for what I know, she left with Louis but he is avoiding her and everyone else. He did apologise to everyone, including Dave, but still, he is kind of weird. He seems to be in another world. Maybe too lost in his thoughts? But I know Tammy is right, what happened after that football game is a turning point for Louis. Let’s hope it’s for the best.

The day goes by smoothly and Tammy is near me all the time and I know she is back to her normal self. She is back with her dark humour and the tough appearance. She doesn’t let the others see how much she is hurt inside, but when she is with me, she allows herself a break and as she does that, I do the same. I don’t feel like I have to please her, like I feel with everyone else. I don’t feel like I have to be what Tammy wants because she doesn’t want anything but what I already give her. All what she needs is me by her side. She doesn’t need a bad, tough-looking boy. She just needs me because with me she can let all her guards off and be the exhausted girl she is.

I never knew how tiresome it was to be pretending all the time. All the smiles, all the comments I had to swallow because I knew no one would approve of. All the times I had to pretend to be okay with something because that was what I was supposed to do. But with Tammy I feel like I don’t have to pretend, I just have to let it be. And that’s so refreshing. I’ve lost myself in my restless effort to please everyone, but Tammy has given me the space and chance to find myself again and I didn’t know until now how much I needed that.