Chapter 5 ~ Liam

Chapter 5 ~ Liam

One of the things I wasn’t expecting when Grimmy asked us to come to this charity they as radio BBC1 were sponsoring, was meeting her again. So when my eyes find her for the first time that day, I’m not sure how to react. She is there with a kid, smiling and laughing… nicely. Like any girl, sweetly and it seems like there’s no linger of the girl I met many days ago. When she looks at that boy in front of her, I only see caring concern. But then she notices our presence and when our eyes meet she looks surprised and soon the arrogant mask is back. Whatever she was showing that boy is nowhere to be seen now. The Tammy I met is back and the mocking grin plays across her lips.

This time she is not alone though I barely pay attention to the other girls, not even when Grimmy introduces us all. My eyes are glued on Tammy, trying to figure out what happened and why she looks at me like that. Though I can see it’s not only with me but with everybody else that she behaves that way. Apparently, the only exception is that boy that follows her closely. He is probably twelve though he looks even younger, ten maybe, and he hides behind Tammy.

“I’m glad to see you, Noob. Did you miss me?” She asks and her tone is pure mockery.

“You didn’t cross my mind a single time,” I lie not even caring that my mates know it. I’ve been muttering about this rude girl all week, despising Grimmy for setting me up with her.

Phebs, one of my best friend and from all the girls we’re friends with the closest to me, told me that maybe it’s because she wounded my pride and I can’t get over that. I tried to deny it but she just gave me this look that didn’t leave room for any arguing. Phoebe knows me really well, we get along without a problem and sometimes I think it would be so easy to be with her, to fall for her. It would be the predictable thing to do, the thing that everyone would expect us to do. We’re similar, we share so many things… but we can’t have those kinds of feelings for each other. Although I’m single now and in one point of our time as friends she was kind of in love with me, the feelings have never been mutual and now she found Lucas, a great lad that loves her with all his heart, and she adores him too. They are happy together so there’s no room to think how easy it would be to be in love with my best girl friend.

Anyways, the pride thing is quite true, though. I remember when Phebs met Lucas and she stopped looking at me with loving eyes, when I knew she didn’t love me that way anymore and how that affected me. Mila told me it was only my pride, that it was because I liked to have Phebs in love with me even if I didn’t love her back. That I wanted to be loved and that the fact that she moved on hurt my pride and that’s why I wasn’t fond of the idea of her and Lucas at the beginning. That was completely true and maybe Phebs is right now, too. Tammy wasn’t impressed by my fame, nor my talent, nor the things I did, nor even my looks. I’m so used to girls screaming when I smile at them, so instead of a refreshing change with Tammy, it was like a slap across the face.

When we met Alex she never reacted to who we are and that was refreshing. The way Phebs, Belle, Mila, Moni, Hannah and Savannah are towards us is refreshing, but Tammy is not. She is rude, she is annoying and mean. Of course she hurt my pride!

Okay, Phebs is right, I can’t get over that.

I know the lads are a bit shocked by the way I’m treating Tammy and how we’re glaring daggers at each other, but I can’t help it. She brings the worst side of me.

Grimmy interrupts and send us away to meet the kids in this charity and like that, we all take separate ways. I go as far away from Tammy as I can, but I can’t help stealing some glimpses of her with the kids, laughing, smiling sweetly, and being nice. Why can’t she be like that to everyone? Why only to these kids? The change is so evident that I can’t remain oblivious. And when she looks at me, even if it is for a brief period of time, her whole expression and posture change.