Chapter 6 ~ Tammy

Chapter 6 ~ Tammy

I know we’ve blown their minds away when they all look at us with their mouths hanging open. What can I say? It’s a normal reaction when people see us play for the first time. Our band is called Prodigy for a reason and now they know that. So I can’t stop the smile from forming on my lips. I like the way they look at us right now and I must admit that the way Liam is watching us is pretty hilarious. It’s like he can’t believe what’s happening in front of his nose, yet at the same time I see admiration.

I love that. I love admiration. But I won’t go back to the reasons why I need to feel admired. I’ve had enough therapy already, I don’t need any more. I don’t need to go back to my past to see why things are the way they are.

I feel sorry for One Direction when they have to perform after us. I feel sorry for any band that has to perform after us, to be honest. Even if we had second-hand instruments and a drum made of boxes, we’re better than any other new band around. And One Direction sings their pop, lovesick songs that offer no hope for these kids. I look around and I see all their faces and Ray is next to me, holding my hand. These kids need so much help, they need people telling them that it can get better, that this isn’t everything they are, that they can be whatever they want. Your parents will never shape your future forever, you have the power to change it. They need to know that and a song that talks about partying all night won’t help them realise that.

These lesbians –yes, they all look like lesbians. Maybe the darker one, Zayn I believe, looks a bit manlier, but too skinny for my taste. Whatever, these lesbians have great voices, very different and let’s be honest, the curly-haired one has a raspy one that gives me chills, and Zayn hits notes that no man should hit –see? Lesbians. I believe they could be better, their voices could make great songs and if they could play instruments they wouldn’t look that much like boys, but oh well, they are a boy band, after all. Justin Timberlake wasn’t the manlier guy around when he was in *NSYNC, I mean, those blond curls were kind of creepy, but man, look at him now. I would totally have him for a couple of nights.

The kids applaud them, too, but not as loud as they clapped for us and my smile is even wider. Clever kids, they recognise talent, not only popularity. Though I don’t mind they are bigger than us now, in a couple of months I know we’ll be bigger than them. It’s inevitable.

I’m surprised that Liam approaches me with his goody smile. Honestly, does he always look like a puppy? He is not helping his image of a good lesbian –I mean, boy– with that smile and those sincere eyes. It’s like he is asking you to bully him for being so nice.

“Your performance was absolutely incredible,” he compliments and my smile grows wider.

“I’m glad you can recognise what’s good, Noob,” I tell him and he sighs deeply. Yeah, he better accept that he has only that name in my mind. I won’t call him Liam out loud. Noob suits him better. “Yours didn’t make me puke, so that’s good, I think.”

He seems to ponder my words, whether to classify them as an insult or a compliment. “Thanks,” he says. “I guess.” I chuckle, his confused expression makes his features a bit sharper, a bit manlier.

You know what’s sad? He could look like a real badass guy. He has the body and a bit of the face –give him two more years–, and the short hair and shadow of a growing beard also help him to look kind of rough, but then he smiles and it’s like he throws everything to the bin.

Man, what a waste.

“But seriously, that was epic. I can’t even imagine what you can do with your own instruments,” he adds and I wonder why he is trying to talk to me. When we met today, he looked nothing but pissed to see me here, too. But now he’s making conversation and I’m not sure what made him change.