Chapter 30 ~ Tammy

Chapter 30 ~ Tammy

I look the interchange with eyes wide open and trying to contain my laughter. I know it would only make things worse and I think things are tense enough already. Louis really hates Dave’s guts and I agree, he is just jealous. I like Louis because his hatred is funny, but you can’t go like that forever. I mean, hating on people, even the people who like you. That’s something so weird, to have people actually wanting to be with you, caring about you… and Louis has so many people! Yet he treats them like shit. So it’s a good thing that Dave makes him open his eyes, because it’s obvious Louis realised he has been a complete twat.

Everyone cares so much about Louis and he is like that? Unbelievable! Alex is really down because the way Louis is acting and she is a great girl. Fun, full of energy and with a dark sense of humour.

“It’s like he takes one step forward and two backwards,” Alex complains and Niall passes his arm over her shoulders, trying to comfort her. “I actually thought he was making progress, you know?”

“Well, after this he will sure make progress,” I say and Alex turns to look at me. Liam and I are walking behind her and Niall, Harry and Zayn go even farther ahead. “Yeah. This is clearly a breaking point for him. He surely is now hating on himself for the way he’s acted. In no time he’ll come back to apologise,” I explain offhandedly. For me, that’s pretty obvious and I barely know the guy.

“How can you be sure?” Niall asks and I look at Liam. He also seems surprised.

“Wasn’t evident for you?” I question and they shake their heads from side to side. “Oh. Well, I guess I’m good and seeing breaking points. It was in his face, the way it fell when he heard those words and how he didn’t even try a comeback. He knew Dave was completely right. For what I’ve seen, Louis is really sassy and he wouldn’t give up on an argument that easily.”

Alex and Niall look really impressed, as if they now can see the world in new colours and I chuckle. “That’s right. He didn’t say a word after that.” I nod knowingly and Alex starts to smile. “You’re so right! I hope he does something about it. As sassy as that idiot is, he is very stubborn and proud.”

“But he clearly needs people and you are his friends. He will apologise for hurting you all. Of that I’m sure.”

Niall and Alex smile widely at me and when I look at Liam again, his smile is proud and precious. He passes his arm over my shoulders and brings me closer to him and when he does, I feel so well. I feel sheltered although there’s no rain falling down right now. It’s hard to believe I would ever be like this with someone, that I would make a playlist for him or just kiss him in front of everyone… but Liam is like a drug: addicting. His warmth, his love is something I can’t give up on anymore. I just can’t go back to the darkness my life was before he came to my rescue and I need him, I miss him and I actually love being around him, even if that means being nice to his friends. If they mean something to Liam, I have to try and give them a chance. At least I can try not to give them more reasons to hate me.

“You’re so amazing,” he tells me and I tense at the beginning, still not used to compliments. They still feel weird. But it’s Liam, he would never say something he doesn’t believe in. And he knows I don’t like compliments, so this one slipped out of his mouth. I fight not to snap at him and I try to calm myself down. It’s okay… I know I’m not amazing nor a great person, but I have to let him have his opinion, even if it’s a wrong one.

Between gritted teeth, I say, “thank you.” I know I surprise him with those words, but I also know he notices it’s not natural, that I actually forced myself to accept his compliment, so he smiles at me, knowing I’ve done a real effort here for him. Just for him. I wouldn’t do this for anyone else, and he knows that, and for that reason I smile back at him.