Chapter 32 ~ Tammy

Chapter 32 ~ Tammy

After a good day at the charity, Liam comes with me to the studio to see how we’re working on our new album and to show the song we wrote together. Leanne, Emma and Sky —yes, even Skyler— keep glancing at us with cheeky smiles, and I know they are fighting really hard not to tease us. There’s no denial Liam and I are together now, I guess I can even call him my boyfriend. I mean, everyone knows. The media, his friends, my band mates, all the kids at the charity… We are not exactly hiding, I don’t want to and I don’t mind the others, I really, really wanna be with him as much as I can. Bruno taught me that: the blessings in our lives are very few, but we can make them as special as we want. Make every single one count. And with Liam, Bruno’s words come back to me even more. I bet he would’ve liked Liam.

Janet loves the song and so do the girls, they think it’s amazing and Leanne asks for a moment and when I see her turning around I notice her teary eyes. The song is very emotional, I feel like breaking every time I sing it, but Liam helps me to keep myself together with his presence.

When we were on our way to the studio I called Ray so Liam could also talk to him and we received very good news.

“A family visited today,” Ray said when Liam was driving and I heard his confused tone. Liam did the same because I had set the speaker. “They were really nice to me. They say they wanna adopt a baby and asked me if I could tell them which one needed them the most.”

“And what did you say?” Liam inquired with a smile.

“I told them I didn’t know because I was new because my dad now is in jail and he can’t have me back.” His voice was so cold when he said that and I understood perfectly why. It’s just a way to deal with the pain, with the disappointment.

“And what happened then?” I asked then with a lump in my throat. Liam noticed that and took my hand, tangling our fingers together.

“They said they were sorry and the lady hugged me. She hugged me like Roxy used to hug me,” he replied and my heart ached.

That family is only looking for a baby but how I wish they were just looking for a son without minding the age. In my eyes Ray is the one who needs a family the most.

“I told you people are nice there, too,” Liam said with a smile and I tried to smile back at him, but I didn’t succeed. “You should make friends and maybe you can help a family to find their kid soon.”

Ray didn’t reply and I swear I could feel his mind struggling, his heart shattering again. “Will a family want me? Because my dad never really wanted me, why would some strangers want me?” a sob escaped my lips and Liam had to stop in that moment, just to hug me, knowing that those are my exact thoughts.

“Because you are a great guy and any family would love to have you. You just have to wait until the perfect family comes for you and until then, you have your friends. You have us,” Liam replied whilst I was grabbing his shirt, squeezing with all my strength, fighting not to cry. “Can you do that, pal? Wait and make new friends?”

“I—I guess I can,” Ray replied. “Tammy,” he then said my name but I couldn’t speak so I just made a sound to make him know I was listening. “If a family never comes for me, do you promise we’ll be together when I’m old enough to leave this place?”

“I promise,” I said without even thinking because that’s for sure.

“Okay, that’s enough for me now. Liam, take care of her while I’m not there,” he said and Liam chuckled.

“I’m taking care of our girl, Ray. Don’t worry. We’ll try to visit you soon.”

By the time we said goodbye, I could hear the smile in his voice and that only made me feel better. Now that I sing this song to my band mates and Janet all I think is that Ray will be fine. He has a family —the charity— that is not with him now, and he will always have me. He may be lucky and get another loving family. And as Liam says, he deserves that, I have to keep my hopes up for Ray. He is still young, he still has a chance.