Chapter 55

Songs for this chapter:

I won't let you go - James Morrison
Chasing cars - Snow Patrol
Falling for you - The 1975
Sparks - Coldplay
When you're gone - Avril Lavigne

Enjoy the chapter!!!

--------------------

"Dean, we've been out for hours. My phones about to die and I'm exhausted. My brothers a grown man, he's going to be fine" I say, as Dean's hands grip the steering wheel, his eyes searching the streets as we drive slow enough to be able to spot my brother wherever he is.

I look down at my phone, the time reading past 2am. I'm exhausted and I want to go to sleep, I know Dean feels the same way. We've been driving the same empty streets for so long now, so guilting Dean into going back to my dads place may be the only way.

"Go to sleep baby, I'm going to keep searching but you have a nap in the seat" Dean says, his eyes not leaving the dark road ahead of us. Nobody in my town is awake at this hour, except people going to work or some people still stumbling home from bars.

At night the town feels so alone and so dark, much more peaceful than I remember it being. I know I can't sleep in a car, I can't ever really sleep in a car unless I'm really tired.

It's not that I'm not worried about my own brother, but Dean and I have other things to be worried about. We need to get home and get some rest for once, that was the reason for this trip. Besides, when I was a teenager Brad was drunk all the time, so this isn't really anything new to me.

All of my siblings have gone in for the night and are probably asleep by now, I don't understand why Dean won't give up the search party and just go to sleep.

"Riles, it's okay. Go to sleep." Dean puts one hand on my thigh to reassure me. I sigh and pull the lever to make my seat fall back vertically. The seats in my dads old car aren't very soft, but I'm so tired right now I could sleep on a cactus. The car is still a little chilly from the night air, because the heating system in this thing hasn't worked for years.

I try my hardest to keep my eyes open, so Dean isn't driving at night by himself because he is a fairly new driver again, but after only a few seconds of trying, my eyes shut and I drift off to sleep.

Dean's point of view

The streets are fucking empty. There's a real small chance I'm going to find Riley's brother Brad in this town, but it's worth a damn good shot. He could be anywhere, literally. I don't know why I care so much, but the persistence and stubborn side of me is determined to find her brother.

I know the kind of trouble you can get into when your drunk. Riley's asleep but I don't want to give up searching. I know from experience the kind of trouble that can happen from being drunk and out in the streets.

I turn a corner of another countless street of this small town. Honestly I'm ready to give up and go to sleep in a bed with Riley where I belong. I know I can't do that though. Why am I so set on finding Riley's brother? Honestly I don't know.

A street sign is hung up above the gravel road.

Martin street. This is the road Riley used to live on. The only street light to illuminate the otherwise empty road is a few feet down, right in front of Riley's dads place.

I sigh. This must be some sort of sign that I'm supposed to stop searching for now. Riley's exhausted and sleeping in a moving vehicle can't be very relaxing. I put on my blinker to turn into her dads place. Just before the old beaten up car makes the turn, out of he corner of my eye I see something moving. No, not something. Someone.