Problems

Disclaimer! Mine mine all mine!

Problems.

"Okay. I'd be happy to help."

David looked annoyed and spitefully said "This is not a favor nor is it a request. This is an order. You will not be happy to help, you will be happy to comply with your sovereigns command. You will receive Elizabeth's medical records by tonight and you will fix whatever is wrong with her." With that he left.

What had gotten into him?

"Don't mind him, he means well, he just has to be like that with everyone. If he wasn't he would have so many people rebelling and challenging the throne. It's the requirement of kingship. You have no idea how many people would like to ruin the peace David has worked all his life to establish. It's a lot harder than it sounds you know. This whole peace took centuries to work this well all thanks to David. Now I'm going draw some blood and run a few tests so just relax okay?"

"Of course."

"Just try to ignore me." I nodded.

"The results from these tests are going to be confidential right?" he nodded in affirmation.

So I let my mind wander. I let it wander to David. That is how he would've been trained to deal with people. Kings, or crown prince don't have the liberty to do as they please. They have social orders, external pressures, bound by restrictions which made me feel sorry for them. As glamorous as the life of the kingdom seemed from afar, nothing compared to what it is from up close. Men were trained to be hard, rough and dominating to make tough decisions while women were shielded, protected and restricted to make them submissive.

Mike, being serious started taking out needles to draw some blood for the tests.

I recall when I first came to the castle, David was so cold and withdrawn from everyone but I saw him grow and change into a person who had so much potential to be a great ruler. In this world emotions were considered a weakness but in my opinion emotions aren't weakness. They give you strength, they make you stronger, they make you fight for what matters.

I recall David would never take a stand for humans till he met me and developed a new appreciation for mankind.

I remembered the time when we were so in love, when nothing else mattered anymore except me and him. I suppose he really didn't love me as much as he said he did, or maybe he just grew out of it like he said, maybe we weren't meant to be together. But how was I supposed to explain this to my heart; the one that beats faster every time I see him? Or the one that skips a beat when he touches me even if just a little.

I wanted to believe in love, I wanted to believe it was real, I wanted to believe in the feelings I had but I felt it had finally broken me down. My fears had come alive and torn me down. Love didn't exist outside fairytales. Nothing lasted forever and for me to believe in all this was a waste of my time. It was a waste of my brain. But how could I make myself believe all this?

He was getting married to my nemesis. I needed to get over him but I just couldn't. Everything about him made me crave his company more. Every touch made me tingle all over. If it was so wrong why did it feel so right?

I always came back to this question.

In a battle between the brain and heart what does one even choose? What is right or wrong, good or bad, sane or insane, want or need?

He would always be near in my memories. At least I tried my level best to make things work. If only I could pin point the moment when it began to go down in flames. The pain was sometimes over whelming, it hurt so bad so why did I have to put up with all this? Was this all part of the game people liked to play? The one where it was all about who moves on first and who starts dating again? For all intents and purposes I had lost. He was getting married. Then why did I have to pretend to be strong and okay with everything even though it hurts?

Time heals right? But what if there was just too much that time couldn't heal?

I diverted my attention to other matters. I had so many things to process.

I was adopted. Who had set fire to the mason mansion and tried to assassinate my entire family? Who tried to kill Grandpa Benjamin? My biological mom and dad? What was the real story behind this family feud between my family and David's? Why hadn't my parents told me? Is this why my mother never really felt like my real mother?

They'll always be in my head. I'll find the culprit someday, I'll keep on trying until my dying day, I just need to know whatever happened, and I need to understand it. Why do bad things always happen to me? How can the person behind this live with himself? How could that person walk free without paying for what he did to my family?

I felt like I didn't know where I belonged anymore, everything broke to pieces and I wanted to be mad at my parents but for some odd reason I couldn't bring myself to it.

Instead all that revolved in my head was that they took me in when I had no one left, they took care of me, they sacrificed not having children because they had to care for me. They put me in a sleep cell for centuries hiding me from the world, preserving my body so that whoever had tried to kill the Mason's couldn't get to the last heir. If it weren't for them I would've been dead. I owed them my life. So what if they were missing for the remaining time of my life, it was for my own safety. I could doubt the love of my mother for me, but I could never doubt my father's love for me. He had treated me as if I was his own flesh and blood. I have to give them a call. Now the memories I often questioned of a loving mother was a mystery solved; that mother I remembered was dead.

Usually people who find out they are adopted lash out on their loved ones, having an existential crisis but I felt calm and composted. I understood and I felt grateful that someone cared enough to take me in and care for me in their own way. They provided clothes for me, a roof on my head and food on the table. What more could I need? With that thought I called my dad and talked to him about everything and like David he also said that I had become such a wise little daddy's girl. He was relieved that I knew but wished I had found out through him but what's done is done.

I tried to focus on the problems I had outside the walls of this castle. It's as if I had forgotten all about them. Why did I always put my life on hold for these vampires? I wonder if the shadow that follows me would show up around the castle or if that vampire with the scar would visit the café if I wasn't there? I hope my regular customer Mr. Wilson who always showed up doesn't miss me too much, he felt like the grandfather I never had. I also knew another very important race was coming ahead. I just hoped that Frank and his group of thuds didn't try anything on me again.

Then there was also the fact that I had severe nightmares. "Mike do you happen to know anything about how to stop nightmares? I frequently have them and it's not a pleasant feeling when I get up, it's like my blood getting drained from my body."

"Oh, what are they about?"

"They are two kinds that I get and are very frequent. One is where I'm in a bathroom held by someone, surrounded by masked men and three four women who are compelled to silence and are torn off limb by limb. They all have their own stories and somehow I'm the reason behind what's happening. I watch them die... and the second one is that I'm bound by my wrists to something on the ceiling. I see a scarred man, Lincoln and John in that dream; it's just lots of horrible things happening in that dream."

He stayed quiet for a while. "Do you think maybe this is a depiction of how you feel? Trapped and tortured?"

"No I don't think it portrays that."

"Then in my opinion I think you were compelled and its wearing off."

"What?" I said shocked.

"Yes, the second nightmare you described is from when you were kidnapped. Do you remember that?"

I tried to think back, there was a death threat on my head... and there was no death threat anymore. I couldn't recall anything in between.

Love Z

I know this is more like a filter but it is good in the long run. I promise I'll update the next chapter soon because this was a bit boring in comparison to the rest.

If you haven't done it then like my facebook page, the link is on my profile!