Trust your instincts

I wake up in the morning with a sick feeling in my stomach.

oh, god. I feel like I'm going to be sick.

I climb out bed and run to the bathroom. I pull up the lid on the toilet and throw up.

Someone opens the bathroom door and I feel them move my hair to the side so I don't get any vomit in it.

I turn to Maddox. "What are you doing here? If you don't leave now you'll be late for work and I don't want you to be late." I push him toward the door.

Maddox stops next to the door. "If you still feel sick in half an hour you should call in sick to work."

I wave him out and put my head close to the bowl as I throw up again.

I pull myself up using the sink and wash my hands and face. I rinse my mouth out with mouthwash. I strip out of the clothes and step into the lukewarm water.

After the shower I walk into the bedroom and get ready for work.

I pack my lunch into my handbag and walk out the door.

I lock the door behind me and head to work.

On the way to work I see a car accident. A car has rammed into the drivers side door of another vehicle and pushed the car onto the footpath.

I walked around the car.

An ambulance pulls in front of the accident scene

I continue on my way to work. I stop at the traffic lights and press the button. I wait for the light to turn green before I cross the road.

When I get to the Café Michelle opens the door for me. "Hey, Michelle. How are you this morning?"

She smiles. "I'm good. I have to run to the shops in ten minutes. Can you open the store for me?"

"Okay," I take the chairs off the table and put them on the ground.

I fill up the napkin holder, lids, spoons and sugar.

I walk behind the counter and start up the coffee machine.

Michelle walks into her office and picks up her handbag. "I'll be back on half an hour."

She leaves the cafe and I check the preparation checklist and tick everything. I open the door to the Cafe and the regulars walk in.

I fill their orders and give them their orders.

They walk out.

Max walks into the cafe with some guys in business suits. They walk over to the counter. Max smiles. "Hey, Samantha. Can I get my usual."

"Sure," I look at the men with him. "What can I get you?"

They give me their orders and I start on the coffee.

Michelle is still gone when more people walk into the cafe. The line goes out the door and I write up orders and make them three at a time.

Michelle returns when there's no one else to be served. She places her bag under the table. "How did it go?"

I smile. "Good, I had a line that went out the door."

Michelle nods. "I saw that. I watched you from across the street. I wanted to see what you were made of. You are the first person to serve all the customers without panicking. The rest have failed this small test."

I cross my arms. "Why do you test your employees?"

"I want to know who the strongest worker is." She looks at me. "This place isn't going to run properly without you."

"What do you mean?"

"You won't be here soon enough. You're pregnant and the amount of time you can work will run out."

Robyn walks into the cafe wearing a pair of sunnies. She takes them off and places them under the counter. She has bruises on her face. "What are you looking at?" She yells.

I look at the customers that walk in.

Thankfully I don't have to answer.

I take the guys orders and make them their coffees.

Michelle and Robyn enter the office and close the door.

Ten minutes later, Robyn exits the office and stands at the counter. She tells me I can go on my break.

I put my apron under the counter and walk to the locker room. I pull out the banana bread I made out of handbag. I walk out the Cafe and cross the road to the park. I find a bench.

I eat the banana.

When I look at time it's been fifteen minutes since I walked out here. I cross the road and enter he cafe.

The line of customers go out the door. I walk through the employees entrance and rush to the counter. I tie my apron and stand behind my counter. I take orders and make their coffees.

The group I served are out the door and I help Robyn with the remaining customers.

***

At 2pm, I leave the cafe and walk home. I take my usual route home and I see a car in my peripheral vision and I step into the closest shop.

I watch a woman with blonde hair step out of the car. She's wearing a hat. You know the one's the celebrities wear to the races. A shirt white dress that reveals more skin and she has long legs. She has a pair of bug eyed glasses. The huge round ones that covers most of your face.

Why does she look familiar?

I hide behind a shelf as she enters the small book shop. I slip behind another shelf and move toward the door.

The door chimes when I exit.

I speed walk to the apartment. I don't see the car when I walk into the apartment building. I stop at the front door and search my bag for the keys. I have to ,I've my wallet aside and find the keys buried at the bottom of my bag.

I put the key into lock.

I'm about to open the door when something is placed over my mouth. I breathe in something and then I'm out like a light.

***

Thanks for reading

Vote/comment/share/follow me

❤️MissDredge❤️

Who do you think took Samantha? What do you think might happen next?