The baby's room

Maddox pulls the car into the driveway of the house. He steps out and walks around the car. He opens the door for me.

I step out of the car and put my hand into his.

Maddox and I walk up the footpath and onto the veranda. He unlocks the door and lets me enter the house first. He locks the door behind him. He pulls his shirt off and wraps it around my eyes. "No, peeking.

I hold onto his hand tight as he leads me down the hall to the baby's room. "Are we nearly there?"

He laughs. "Not yet."

I hear the door open and he takes off the blindfold. I look around the room and see a cot already set up by the wall, a rocking chair in the corner next to the window, a change table. He also has diapers and bottles in a box.

I hug him. "Everything is perfect. Thank you, Maddox."

He smiles. "I'm glad you like it."

***

In the middle of the night I start to feel restless and can't sleep. I climb out of the bed and walk into the baby's room.

I run my fingers over the wooden frame of the cot. The wood is smooth. In the cot is a blue and purple blankets.

I shake my head.

Maddox already knew what colours he wanted in our child's room.

I move around the room and open the cupboard. It's already filled with baby clothes and a note is on the clothes.

I pull the note off the t-shirt.

Dearest Maddox

          I know you are upset with your father and I. When I found out you got a girl pregnant I wanted to buy these things for the baby. I hope one day that I get to meet your girl and the baby.

I just got off the phone to your aunt and uncle. They told me the girl you're with is the Ex fiancé of your cousin. How can you sleep with this girl?

Goodbye,

     Maddox

Ps, if you break up with that girl you can come home.

Another Colt hates me. Thanks Sis.

I scrunch up the piece of paper and throw it on the ground. Something catches my eye and I bend down and retrieve it.

On the back is a phone number. I pull my phone out of my pocket and dial the number.

I don't care that it's 4.30 in the morning. This woman is going to have a piece of my mind.

"Hello?" A voice answers groggily.

"Hey, I just got the clothes you left for my child."

"Who is this?"

I laugh slightly. "I'm the horrible ex fiancé of your nephew."

"What are you doing calling me at this ungodly hour?"

"I couldn't sleep. I read the beginning of the letter you left your son for our baby. When I read the next section it pissed me off. How could you call yourself a mother? Maddox did the right when he got away from you."

"How dare you. You don't know anything about my relationship with my son."

True. She doesn't know anything about Maddox and mine.

"And you don't know anything about Maddox and I. You were listening to the family that are angry because I revealed that the wedding your nephew had was mine. He kept the date and the places. I lost a lot of money for the wedding and they took mine. You know what I got?" I don't wait for her to answer. "I got to be the Bridesmaid and laughing stock."

I grip my phone and send it a glare before I throw it across the room and it shatters against the wall.

I walk over to the rocking chair and sit. I rock it a couple of times and rub my belly. I talk to my baby. I close my eyes and fall asleep.

"SAMANTHA!" I hear someone yell.

I rub my eyes and look at the door.

The door to the baby's room opens and Maddox walks in. He looks around the room and his eyes widen as he finds me on the rocking chair. "Did you sleep in here last night?"

I nod. "I couldn't sleep. Sorry I worried you."

He pulls me into his arms. "I thought something happened to you."

I give him the piece of paper. "I found this on the clothes."

Maddox open the letter and he reads it "I didn't know that was in there. I'm going to call my mother."

I stand up. "I did that at 4.30. She wasn't happy."

He laughs. "I wish I was here when you spoke to my mother."

I wrap my arms around him. "Your mother might hate me more."

Maddox and I stand still for a bit.

Out of nowhere his phone rings.

It makes me jump. I wasn't expecting that.

He pulls the phone out of his pocket. "It's Mum. I'll be right back." He walks out of the room.

I walk into the kitchen and crack a couple of eggs into a bowl. I add pepper and mix the eggs.

Maddox walks into the kitchen just as the toast pops. I butter the toast and put the eggs on top. He takes the plate and sits at the kitchen table.

I sit across from him and cut into the toast. I look at him. "What did your Mum say?"

Maddox puts his toast down. "She wants to meet you tomorrow."

My cutlery hit my plate and my mouth drops open.

No! Please tell me I'm hearing things.

I shake my head. "What did you say?"

"We're going to have dinner with my parent's tomorrow night. Mum said you have balls and she would love to meet the woman that's not afraid to stand up to her."

Maddox cleans the kitchen and I walk to my room to get ready for work.

Maddox walks into the room. "Are you going to work today?"

"Yes," I kiss him on the cheek and walk out the door.

***

Thanks for reading

Vote/comment/share/follow me

❤️MissDredge❤️