The Dance Competition Part I

Maddox and I walk into Harley Hotel. I walk up to the polished wooden reception desk and put the flyer on the table.

The guy looks up from the computer. "Can I help you?"

I nod. "Yes, my fiancé and I are here for the dance competition. Can you tell me where the ballroom is?"

"I'll get someone to show you." He waves a guy in a red uniform.

The bellhop walks over. He shows us to the ballroom. Maddox and I walk over to the sign in desk.

The old lady at the desk gives Maddox and I numbers to put on our clothes. I pin it to Maddox's shirt and I turn around and let him pin the number to the back of my dress.

Maddox and I walk around the room.

Our friends are gathered in the corner close to the bar. Peyton and Liz have glasses of water in front of them and the men all have beers in their hands.

I walk over to the bar and pour myself a glass of water. I take it over to the table and sit with my friends.

A waitress is walking around the room. Vincent says. "Four beers, please."

The waitress writes something on the paper and disappears behind the bar.

I glare at Maddox. "I hope you're not going to drink that before the competition. I need my partner at his best."

Maddox pouts. "It's only one beer. It's not going to affect me."

I laugh. "Do you say that to Coach when you drink the night before a game?" I tap my chin. "No, because you don't drink before game night."

He shakes his head.

The waitress walks over with the beers and she places it in front of the guys.

Maddox's hand reaches towards the bottle.

I cross my arms. "Vincent, if you don't hide that spare bottle I swear I'll pour it all over the four of you."

Vincent takes the bottle away from him. "I don't want to be covered in beer all night. When she says something she means. I learnt that when I made her live with me for a couple of days."

At seven, the announcer calls the beginners onto the dance floor. I take Maddox's hand and he walks me to the dance floor. We find a spot on the dance floor and he places a hand on my hip and the other in my hand.

I place the hands the same way. The music begins and we move around the dance floor to music. I don't hear the words that are coming from the speakers.

I only have eyes for the man that I'm moving around with. He dips me and spins me around on the dance floor.

I giggle.

His eyes twinkle as he smiles at me.

My heart begins to race as he pulls me flush against his body. I feel him stiffen and my back.

Maddox and I continue to move across the dance floor.

At the corner of my eyes I can see the film crew from The Wives and Girlfriends of Football players. Tonight is our last night on the show.

I want my life back.

Maddox looks over in their direction. "How does it feel that we'll be free of them soon?"

I smile. "It feels good. I don't want to ever sign up for another short appearance on the show. I want everything to go back to normal. It won't since we did a five episode appearance on this show. Do you my sister and Kayne are going to try to get back into our lives when they see this?"

Maddox nods. "I think they will use us for the show we appeared on. They will eat up all the publicity.

"Gina's going to run my name through the mud. There's no way that I will be able to come back from whatever she's going to say. Mum and Dad don't want anything to do with me. Kayne's parents who were like parents to me don't want anything either and your parents are too busy listening to all the stuff your Aunt and Uncle told them."

Maddox spins me and pulls me into him and we sway for a bit before he dips me again.

At 8.30pm, Maddox and I walk over to our friend. "I'm going to get some water." I announce, and walk over to the tap and pour a glass of water.

Liz looks at Maddox and I. "You both were great." She looks around the room. "Did you know the film crew are here?"

I nod. "Maddox and I told them that we wanted our last night on the show would be tonight. We wanted ours to finish with a bang."

"You got that. What would top off the night is if you win first, second or third place.

***

At 11.30pm, the competition comes to a close and a guy walks over to the stage. He looks out at the crowd. "I would like for the beginners to come onto the dance floor."

Maddox helps me off the stool and we walk over to the dance floor. We stop in the middle of the floor with the other contests.

"In fourth place is number 412." The crowd applaud as the couple next to us get their fourth place trophies.

Maddox and I are team number 411.

Maddox moves me to stand in front of him. He places his hands around me.

"In third place is team 400."

There were twelve teams in the competition and only the top four get prizes and the rest of us can go home with the memory of a great night.

"In second place is..." he opens the envelope and reads it. He shakes his head. "It's a tie between 411 and 402.

I look at the guy. "What does that mean?"

He smiles. "It's a dance off."

The music comes on. Maddox and I move to the dance floor and start dancing.

I don't care if I come in second. I've had the best night of my life with my fiancé.

***

Thanks for reading

Vote/comment/share/follow me

❤️MissDredge❤️

What place do you think Maddox and Samantha get in the dance floor?