Chapter 47

Time went by, everything was normal, summer was almost over, Tatsu was nowhere to be found. So many questions still wandered in my mind about Yato and Tatsu, but I never had the chance to ask anything else. I didn't want to be rude anyway.
Yato, Yukine and I were at the park, Yukine sitting on a swing and Yato and I on the grass, my head relaxed on his shoulder. At this time of the year, the park was the best part of the town. Flowers, silence and the smell of the sea, nothing more.

"You never told me guys, what job were you sent to?" I asked them.

"Yato was sent...I had to go with him", Yukine complained.

"It was a hard one. Probably one of the hardest I've ever done. It was like father sent me there to die", Yato replied, obviously angry, maybe even disappointed.

"What happened?"

"Phantoms", Yukine answered. "Hundreds, or even thousands of them. They were endless; that's why it took us so long to return."

"You were killing Phantoms non stop all those weeks you were away?" Yukine nodded, and my eyes widened in thought of how many they probably were.

"We weren't the only ones killing, though", Yato said.

"What do you mean?"

"Those Phantoms brought about the deaths of many people. So many, innocent people died in vain." Yato's words reminded me of his shirt when he came back. It was very blood stained. I hadn't noticed until now that the blood wasn't of the Phantoms -they don't have blood. Or perhaps I didn't want to believe it. Just in the thought that Yato saw their deaths, and how many he has seen by now, it sent a chill down my spine.

"But luckily, we managed to kill all the Phantoms", Yukine said, breaking a smile out of his sadness. "Everything went well, and the job was a success."

"I'm glad you both came home safe", I said, and hugged Yato's arm tightly.

"Hiyoriiii!!!!!" I heard a familiar voice calling me, and I turned around to see. Nori was running towards us, almost tripping in every ten steps, until she finally reached us out of breath. I got up from the ground and walked to her, while I watched her take her auburn hair away from her face.

"Nori!? What happened?" I asked her, and heard Yato's steps towards us.

"T....ta...." she failed to say, panting.

"Tatsu.....Tatsu is back!! ", she continued.

"What?! " I said loudly, and looked at Yato, who was equally surprised. "Are you sure it was him?"

She nodded in response. "I saw him walking very quickly.....towards the centre.....but I couldn't catch up to him...."

"Let's go", Yato patted my shoulder and started running, I ran behind him.

"W-wait, Hiyori!" Nori yelled.

"Stay with Yuki!" I yelled back and kept running, without a single glance behind me.

-