Chapter 37

"What are you talking about Hiyori? Isn't Yato away for work?!" Nori told me loudly, as I started walking in circles trying to figure out where the smell was coming from.

"He is, but he's here now " I replied quickly, without thinking about my words much.

"And hey, how do you even recognize people by their scent? Is it some certain cologne?" I could barely focus on what she was saying; I had to find where it was coming from.

"Hey, Hiyori! Are you even listening-"

"I found it!" I yelled, pointing towards one of the alleys around us.

"Come on!" I ran towards Nori and grabbed her wrist, running and pulling her with me.

"Wait, Hiyori!"

I followed the smell. The more I ran towards it, the stronger it was getting. At some point, I stopped immediately, and Nori bumped on my back.

"Ouch", she complained, rubbing her nose. "Hiyori, what do you think you're doing, are you out of your mind?" She said in a high pitch. I looked around. The road was silent, and all the houses looked abandoned in the darkness.

"It's gone" I said, trying to catch a breath. "I can't smell it anymore."

"What?" She glared at me with a discouraged look.

At that moment, I heard something falling on the ground. The sound came from a dark alley on my right, far away, at the end of it, where there was a turn towards another alley. I tried to take a better look. I saw somebody approaching. The smell came back, and it was even more intense than before.

'Can this be...Yato? '

"Who is there?" Nori shouted towards the person walking slowly and casually towards us. We still couldn't make out any features.

'No, that's not Yato. There's no way this is Yato. But how do they have the same smell? Yato's smell is unique. I can tell it's him from miles away, and this is the exact same scent. But that isn't Yato. '

After a while the figure was bright enough for us to see. It was a guy. He was tall and thin, his skin seemed very pale and the way he walked looked like he was too bored to do it. I wasn't sure if it was because of the light, but his hair had a grey shade, and was a bit long, almost covering his nape, and his bangs were slightly hiding his eyes. His eyes were a bright and vibrant purple color. He was wearing a black tank top and a pair of jeans, and he looked kind of wasted in general.

'Yato's smell...was coming from him? '

"Hiyori, let's get out of here", Nori said, almost whispering.

"But-"

"Hurry, let's go!" She yelled at me, not giving me the chance to talk, pulling me from my hand and running, dragging me behind her.

-