Chapter 22

With fast moves, I put on my pink shorts and a white tank top with a pink pattern on it. I quickly put some makeup on and tied my hair up in a ponytail, combing through my bangs with my fingers. Lastly I wore my black sneakers, and made my way downstairs. There I found mom sitting in the living room, drinking her coffee while reading some papers, probably for her work. I was about to tell her he would be here in any second, but I was interrupted by the bell.

"I'll get it" I said, while watching mom get up. I walked towards the door and opened it.

Yato glared at me with a heart warming look on his eyes, and a wide smile. I smiled back, and let him in. Thank God he hadn't dressed up in a fancy way or anything to impress mom. He was simply wearing a white t-shirt, a pair of jeans and sneakers, with his hair half clipped back, as he likes to clip it. He was also holding his black jacket. My favorite smell filled the air around me, as I walked behind him towards the living room. Mom looked at him with a big, welcoming smile on her face, and he returned it.

"Good evening, Ms Iki. I'm Yato. Nice to meet you" he said, with such kindness and happiness that I barely convinced myself it was actually him.

"Hello Yato. Please, sit down" she responded, pointing at the couch next to her, still keeping the smile on her face. Mom sat on the big couch while I sat on the smaller one next to Yato. I was getting really anxious, and the whole thing felt so awkward. Even though I had prepared some things for Yato, like his age and his hometown, I was still worried he might forget something. I took a deep breath and stayed near Yato, in case I could help him at some point.

"So Yato, was it? Why don't you tell me some things about yourself?" It was obvious she wasn't faking the smile she was wearing; she liked him.

"Oh, well, uh..I am 20, and I am from a town a few hours away from here." 'Okay, everything good so far. '

"What about your family?"

"I..don't really have one..I only have my little brother, Yuki."

"Oh, I'm sorry to hear that..well uh, anyway, how did you meet Hiyori?"

I felt my blood boiling. I didn't tell him what to say on that. I looked over at Yato worried.

"I just met her one day at the park. She looked sad and I decided to talk to her. That's pretty much it." He finished with a smile and looked at me. I smiled back.

"So I...guess you already know a lot of things about Hiyori, don't you?"

"Heh, yeah, I suppose", he scratched the back of his head.

"I..I did my best to help Hiyori as much as I could when she needed help. And I'll keep on doing that. Because I really love her. And I can't imagine my life without her." He had a very tender look on his face while talking about me. I was trying very hard to hold back my tears.

"That's so sweet of you", she replied with a friendly grin. "And what's your occupation?" Yato looked at her kind of sursprised.

"You're 20, so since you apparently don't go to school anymore, you probably work for a living, don't you?"

"Oh right, umm, I..." He looked around in the room, trying to avoid saying anything that had to do with Gods and think of an answer.

"I do a lot of things, actually...I don't really have a standard occupation, not yet. I do random jobs to make a living."

"I see..", mom commented. "Well, Hiyori told me you would like to go out together so I guess I'll let you guys go then", she finished with a wide smile. She got up and so did we. "It was a pleasure talking to you, Yato" she said while giving him her hand. "Please take good care of Hiyori."

"I will", Yato replied and smiled, as they shook hands.

"Oh Yato, I forgot my jacket upstairs, go outside and I'll be right there okay?" I told him, while we had started to walk towards the exit. He nodded and got out. I closed the door behind him, and leaned with my back on it, turning to mom.

"Well? "

"You really love him, don't you?" I blushed and looked at the ground with a grin on my lips.

"Yato means a lot to me..we was always there to help me when I needed someone the most, and he has given me a reason to keep on living. I don't even want to think where I would be without him. He has treated me perfectly so far, and has offered me so many things that I never had. That is why I love him, mom. He's my savior. My guardian angel. My God." I was now looking deep inside her eyes, tightening my fists while my heart was racing. She grinned in delight and moved towards me.

"Go get your things and enjoy your time with Yato. He is somebody worth keeping. Don't let him go." I widened my eyes in the sound of mom's words, as I smiled widely and ran towards the kitchen, taking my things. I walked towards the exit where I kissed mom goodbye and quickly got outside.

I saw Yato kneeling on the ground, softly cuddling and rubbing with his hand the head of a white kitty that was in the garden, when he saw me, got up and walked towards me.

"What took you so long? Did she tell you anything?"

"Nope, she doesn't need to. She liked you."

"Great, that's a relief" he said with a hopeless face. I laughed at him, as we started walking towards the street while holding hands and watching the sun slowly go down on our way to the city.

-