Chapter 2

Mom had given me a lot of chores to do until she came back, but I didn't do them because I had a lot of homework. When she returned and I heard the door unlock, I felt my heart skip a beat. She would find out I didn't do anything. Even if I explain, she'll punish me. Or worse..

I heard her footsteps on the stairs, while I was frozen over my assignment on my desk. She opened the door, I looked at her and she crossed her arms.

"You didn't do anything, did you?"

"N-no, but that's because-"

"I don't want to hear excuses, I left for work in the morning and I gave you some things to do until I get back, it's 6 pm, why the hell haven't you done anything?!"

"I-I had a lot of homewor-"

"I've had enough of your lame excuses!"

"But mom I-" she stopped my sentence with a slap on my right cheek. I put my hand over the aching area, trying to hold back my tears.

"You are useless! How can you be my daughter?!" she told me, while leaving the room and closing the door aggressively. I remained completely still, silent, my tears had started flowing and my mind was a mess. I slowly got up and locked the door, turned my back on it and slipped downwards, finally hugging my knees. I sat there crying, feeling my heart eating me out and my mind driving me insane.

'Why? Just what did I do wrong?! '

The sun was shining over the whole city, the weather was so warm and people were swimming in the blue waters of the sea. I was walking on the road next to the beach, looking at kids happily playing with the sand and the water, finding and bringing shells to their parents, taking family photos, while the darkness in my mind fell again in the sight. I was so focused on not crying again that I didn't see somebody in front of me, and I bumped on them.

"Sorry!" I said, with my eyes closed, but when I opened them I saw Yukine staring and me with curiosity.

"Hiyori", he said, while I saw Yato right behind him. He was not wearing his black jersey, but the white t-shirt he always wears under it.

"What are you doing here, Hiyori?" Yato asked me.

"I-I was just taking a walk..."

Yukine noticed the redness on my right cheek.

"Is that from a slap?" he asked, quite surprised. Yato's face got serious. "What happened, Hiyori?"

"N-nothing, it's okay, don't worry about it" I replied as I rubbed my cheek with my hand.

"I was just playing with a ball with Kofuku and it hit me in the face" I continued as I laughed and smiled.

"That aside", Yukine said, "why are you wearing such clothes with this hot weather?" He pointed at my purple long-sleeved shirt and my black jeans.

"Oh, that, I'm just cold." I smiled. Yukine looked at Yato, while he had a mysterious look on his face.

"Sorry guys but I have to be going, Ami and Yama are waiting for me at the park. Later!" I said, and started walking away quickly.

The park was so silent, you could only hear the sound of the leaves on the trees as the hot wind blew, a slight sea breeze in it. I took a deep breath and enjoyed the moment, in hopes of relaxation. Ami and Yama were nowhere to be seen. I decided to wait for them, so I sat on the swings..thinking what I had done wrong..

Four hours had passed, but the girls never showed up. It was almost 10 pm and it was getting cold. 'I suppose I'm not worth for anyone after all ', I thought. I got up from the swings and started walking home, alone in the cold and dark night, dragging my feet and my empty soul on the way.

-