Chapter 36

"So, you didn't tell me how you broke up with Yato", Nori said, taking a sip from her coffee. I glared at her with a weird look.

"We didn't break up", I responded pretty silently, and looked at the side awkwardly. "We were separated."

"By who?"

"His father. He sent him away for work as soon as he found out about our relationship." My whole body was trembling in the thought of that day.

"Whaaa he's harsh! You can't control love, love controls you! "

"Tell me about it.."

"And, tell me, how is he?"

"Wh-what do you mean?" I felt my cheeks getting red as I made a tight cracked smile.

"You know, how was he in your relationship? What did he do for you?" Nori's sentence was followed by complete silence, until I broke it with a small laugh, more like an exhale.

"...Miracles."

"Eh?"

"He would do anything for me, even miracles. He...was the only one who stayed when everybody else left...he saved me from suicide two times, and from murder once."

"Murder?! " Nori yelled.

"Shhh", I said, looking around if anybody had heard us. Luckily, no one had.

"Man, this Yato guy sounds like a prince taken from a fairytale", she mumbled, putting her elbow on the table and dropping her head on it. I laughed softly.

"He might be.."

"How did you two meet?" I froze for a moment, searching for a good lie.

"Tha-tha-tha-that's a very long story" I said, scratching awkwardly the back of my head.

"We have time", she raised an eyebrow.

"I-I'd rather not talk about it, it's kind of...embarrasing." She stared at me for a while, but then she shrugged and took another sip from her drink. I felt a great weight leaving my shoulders.

"You really love him, don't you?" Nori's words made me lift my head and look deep inside her green eyes, kind of surprised, but then I lowered my gaze again and nodded in response.

"He is...Yato is...everything to me. I can't live without him."

"I know the feeling, darling" she said doing a move in the air with her hand, like she was trying to make a fly go away. "Don't worry, I got your back. I'm here for you too now. Not as a boss, but as your friend."

I couldn't hold back a big, warm smile. She smiled back with all her heart.

~

We were walking in the town's quiet streets, talking about matters concerning our lives and commenting on the beauty of the warm night. We were about to take a turn to enter the alley leading to my neighborhood, when I suddenly stopped walking and felt a wave of cold running through my skin, from head to toe. Nori stopped a couple of steps in front of me.

"Hiyori, what's wrong?" I didn't reply. I couldn't.

"H...he...", I started whispering, with a shaking voice.

"What? I can't understand you-"

"He's here..."

"Who? Don't tell me...that murderer you mentioned?"

"His smell...is here..."

"Huh?"

"He's here...Yato's smell...Yato...Yato is here!!! "

-