Chapter 11

The ride felt endless. When we finally reached the clinic after hours on the road, I got out quickly while holding and dragging Yato from his wrist, running towards the entrance.

I reached the desk there out of breath. I let go of Yato and supported myself with my hands on my knees. He softly caressed my back. Reminding myself what I came here for, I stood up looking at the nurse behind the desk with watery eyes.

"My name is Iki Hiyori, somebody asked for me a few hours ago?"

"Yes sweetheart, sit down and catch a breath while I'll go bring the doctor."

I did as I was told, sitting with my elbows on my thighs. Yato sat next to me, and holded my hand. I looked at him, and he gave me an encouraging, compassionate look.

"I'm sorry I dragged you all the way here.." I knew he was willing to go through everything with me, but what I did was very fast and until we got in the vehicle he had no idea where we were going and what had happened.

"It's okay, that's not an issue, especially right now." He was trying to be as kind and soft as he possibly could, while still holding my hand and looking me in the eyes.

I saw the nurse returning and going back to her desk, while another man with big square glasses and a glump look on his face approached us.

"Are you Ms. Iki Hiyori?"

"Yes."

"I am Dr. Finn. I was the one that called you earlier", he introduced himself as we shook hands.

"So? What happened?!" I asked, as calmly as possible.

"As I told you on the phone, your parents were involved in a car accident a few hours ago, with an oil trade truck. The truck didn't have any cargo, however there were casualties."

"..m-meaning..?"

"The driver of the truck is heavily injured...and your father, Mr. Iki, was pronounced dead at the scene..I'm very sorry."

"Hiyori.." Yato tried to keep me conscious, as I felt like my legs had been cut off and my blood was boiling.

"A-and...what about m-my..m-mom?" my voice cracked as tears started flowing down my cheeks.

"Your mom was thankfully not heavily injured -she only had a broken leg and some wounds and scratches. She's currently being treated, and it will take a while until you can see her."

"Does she...k-know?"

"Not yet, but I was planning to inform her as soon as the treatment would be don-"

"No...don't. I'll do it."

"Hiyori..." Yato was holding me from my shoulders the whole time, trying to keep me from falling down.

"Excuse me but I have to get going. The doctor taking care of your mom is aware you're here, he will call you when he's done. If you need me, let the nurse know. Hang in there, honey."

"T-thank you, Dr. Finn." I watched the doctor walk away, as I turned to Yato.

"Yato..can we go outside please?"

Yato nodded and we slowly walked outside, my feet barely keeping me up, my heart aching and skipping beats.

When we got out, we moved towards the back of the building, where nobody could see or hear us. I stood in front of Yato in the deafening silence, as tears started uncontrollably rolling down my cheeks. I covered my face with my hands, and started crying so hard, sobbing, when Yato hugged me tightly. I started screaming and crying in his arms, just like some days ago at the edge of the balcony. This time harder. And louder. I got everything out of my chest, while he didn't stop holding me tight, and close to his body. I also had a feeling he was tearing up too, but I didn't have the power, the energy to lift my head to see. Actually, after screaming and crying for many minutes, I couldn't even stand anymore. I let my legs bend and started slipping townwards. Yato kneeled on the ground, as I remained in his arms lying down, unable to get over the things I had just heard. When, after several minutes, I was able to speak again, I got on my knees looking at Yato, and trying to wipe away my tears that wouldn't stop flowing.

"Do you feel any better now?" Yato said, and I nodded. I had been crying for many minutes, so I was able to let even a little bit of it out.

"You know..", I tried to say, but I was only able to whisper.

"..I never expected I would cry this much for my father. He was a complete torture for me, always treating me like trash, beating me up whenever he felt like it, and mom never reacted." I wiped off my tears with the sleeve of my jacket.

"But even so, after all that.." I started tearing up again, and looked up at Yato with a fake smile on my face.

"..he was my father. He gave me life. No matter how badly he treated me..I can't say I loved him...but I would say that I was fine with him being there. I won't start calling him names now, just because he can't hear me. I'm still human..a kind human, after all..and maybe too kind...." I started crying again, as Yato pulled me back in his arms, holding me tightly, after listening to everything I said carefully.

-