Chapter 23

"How about we go out in the city tonight?" Kofuku asked happily, while leaving the last two cups of cold tea on the table and sitting down.

"Sure, we haven't gone out for a while" I responded, after swallowing the sip I had taken from my tea and putting on a smile afterwards.

"What do you say, Yato?" Kofuku asked him.

I looked over to Yato. He was sitting on the ground with his back on the wall, staring pointlessly down.

"Yato? Something wrong?" I tried to bring him back. He suddenly raised his eyes and they met mine, but I felt something wrong. When Yato glares at me, I can see and sense is emotions, everything he is feeling at that moment, but there was something different this time. I couldn't sense anything but complete emptiness.

"No, everything's fine, yeah let's go out, sounds fun." He smiled widely, but it was obvious; it was a fake one.

Two days after I let Yato meet my mom, everything was going very well, and we were enjoying every second of our relationship. However, after that, Yato disappeared for a few days, about a week. I was going insane and getting very worried about where he could be all that time, he hadn't made a single appearance. When he returned, he was like a totally different person. His eyes weren't shining bright when he talked to me anymore. His voice had hardened, and he started spacing out very often. He didn't even try to kiss me, hug me, or get me to spend the night with him. It felt as though he didn't care about what was happening around him, like he had a problem spinning in his mind constantly. But no matter how hard I tried, he didn't tell me. He never told me where he went, either.

We were about to leave the city and head home after our night out, during which Yato barely spoke once more, when I saw him leaning with his elbows on the railings of the bridge,  looking away at the dark ocean that was reflecting the city's lights on its surface, probably spacing out again. I called out his name and slowly approached him, while he returned to reality and watched me walk towards him.

"What's wrong, Hiyori?" I tried looking deep inside his eyes once again, in hopes of finding any sign of emotion in them, but I sensed nothing. His smell, my favorite, didn't satisfy my soul anymore.

"I...I just don't get it", I replied after a moment of silence. "It doesn't feel right!"

"W-what do you mean?" I tightened my fists as my hands started getting sweaty.

"Ever since you left and came back...you haven't been the same, Yato...what's troubling you?"

I saw his eyes widening in surprise, then looking away to the ocean with an emotionless gaze. "It's nothing", he responded with a weak, lowered voice. I could detect some anger in it, also.

"Don't lie to me Yato, it's obvious, something is really worrying you!" He grinded his teeth.

"Why don't you just tell me-"

"I said it's nothing, just stay out of it!!", he yelled and his voice echoed in the silence. I stood there, staring at him speechless, watching the emotions returning in his eyes...but it wasn't the emotions he had before...he was full of sadness, hatred, anger. A few seconds later his face softened a little, and he let out a deep breath. "Look, I'm sorry, it's just-"

"I..I don't understand this at all.." I whispered slowly, trying to hold back my tears.

"I...really thought you were going to be the one to save me from everything. To always stay with me. To never reject me, never let me go." I failed to hold back, and tears started rolling down my eyes.

"Was I wrong ? Was I wrong for letting somebody in? Was I wrong for trusting again? Was I wrong for believing in your promise that you would never hurt me?" I was staring deep inside his eyes, even though I could barely see from the endless tears blurring my vision.

'Because you really did..'

"No! It's..it's not that-"

"Then what the fuck is it?! If you want to leave me, if I never meant anything to you, just say so." I was pressing my nails against my skin in my fist so hard that some blood started running out of the little wounds I had created.

"I...I can't tell you what it is. I'm truly sorry." He looked at the ground and I would swear I saw a teardrop running down his cheek. I wiped my own tears from my face with a fast move, and took a deep breath.

"I am not sure what you are hiding from me...but since you can't tell, for any reason, I guess all I can do is give you time, let it be, and understand." I took a step to leave, but stopped and turned to look at him.

"And..when you finally come back to your senses, then come to me again." I slowly walked away in the dark night, allowing the summer breeze to take the tears still running down my cheeks, as well as all my shattered feelings, away with it.

-