Chapter 30

Yato was staring at me with widened eyes, after everything I told him. My legs and hands were shaking, my heart was racing and my eyes were burning from the continuous flow of tears. I was in a complete mess, but most of all, I was afraid. Afraid of Yato's final decision. Maybe he hadn't even payed attention to what I said. Maybe he had already made up his mind, and be wasn't willing to change it. It felt like thousands of years had passed until Yato stopped giving me that surprised look, closed his mouth and looked at his feet.

"I'm sorry, Hiyori", he said. I didn't know what he meant, so I simply stood there and watched his next move.

"Rabo", he turned to him. "I decline your options. I choose none."

Rabo laughed hysterically, but when he stopped laughing he glared at Yato with an incredibly murderous look. I was scared.

"So that's what you want? Well then, normally I would let those who have to take care of this do it but..." He grinned.

"I feel like I owe you, my old friend."

Before I knew it, Rabo had attacked Yato. I saw Yato dodging, but the scream he let out assured me he had been hurt. He started running towards me. That's when I saw where his wound was. He had his hand over it while running, on his stomach. I wasn't sure if it was just a deep cut or Rabo pierced him through. He came and stood in front of me, his hands wide open now, protecting me behind him. I was left completely frozen.

"I don't give a fuck what you do to me, don't you dare lay a hand on Hiyori!" His voice echoed loudly. He sounded furious.

"Oh? That's cute", Rabo said, walking towards us, with his sword on his hand, and Yato's blood on it. "Very interesting."

Yato got more cautious and protected me even more, keeping me secure behind him.

"You want a piece of me?!" Yato said. I was sure. He was not the same anymore. Hatred had consumed him. He didn't even care about what would happen to him. He wanted to take Rabo down.

"Aren't you forgetting something? You're unarmed", Rabo said, pointing at him from far away with his blade. He didn't even move from in front of me. 

"Stay back, Hiyori." His voice filled me with reassurance, as he started walking away from me, at first slowly, but then he speeded up, and finally he was running towards Rabo. Rabo started attacking him, but Yato dodged all of his movements. A few of them got him though, and he got a few scratches here and there. 

Right when Yato had started feeling tired and slowing down, while at the same time sustaining more damage from the blade, Rabo was about to give him the finishing blow, but a deep voice saying "Stop!" echoed in the space, and both of them froze. Rabo looked like somebody invisible was holding his hand and keeping him from attacking. Yato, who was lying on the ground out of breath, was completely frozen as Rabo's blade had stopped just centimetres away from his chest.

Before I knew it, three men had appeared, but I couldn't see any of their faces under their big hoods. One of them had indeed turned inbisible and had stopped Rabo, and he now revealed himself. The other one appeared in front of me, while the third one walked in slowly.

"What is going on here?" the third one said. The one holding Rabo pulled him back and away from Yato, restraining his movements. Yato stood on one of his knees, looking at the man. He seemed very surprised.

"F...Father..? "

-