Chapter 10 - Stay With Her

Carol continued to sob as Daryl pulled her to her feet.

"Don't look." He repeated a couple of times. When she was finally standing she ripped herself from his grip and ran back to camp.

I couldn't seem to move. My eyes flicked from Shawn to Annette and then back to Shawn, taking another step forward just as Beth sprinted past me, apparently breaking free from Jimmy's hold, and running our stepmother's body.

"Beth?" I called, her reaction snapping me back to reality. She walked over to Annette, dropping to her knees and rolling her body over, muttering the word "mum" over and over.

What happened next sent me into full protective overdrive mode. Annette's eye flew open, a moan escaping her lips as her hands latched onto Beth's trying to rip my sister closer to her.

"Beth!" I yelled, everyone reacting at the same time. Rick, Shane and I all went to her, pulling her back as T-Dog kicked Annette away and Glenn grabbed hold of her arms as Andrea picked up a pickaxe and drove it through the back of the Walker's head as Beth chocked on another sob, now in my arms.

Dad, now back on his feet, came up beside us and I carefully guided Beth over to him as he turned her around and with Patricia's help, guide her back in the direction of the house with Maggie beside them and Jimmy trailing along behind. I remained looking at the bodies for a moment, but quickly caught up once I heard Shane's voice.

"We've been out, combing these woods looking for her and she was in there all along?" He paused and then stated, "You knew." Rick grabbed his arm, pulling him back.

"Leave him alone." Maggie said.

"Get your hands off me." Shane said to Rick. "You knew and you kept it from us."

"I didn't know." My dad replied as I finally caught up.

"That's bullshit, I think you all knew."

"We didn't know!" Maggie yelled back.

"Otis put the people in the barn." My dad explained as we reached the house. He stopped at the bottom of the stairs as Patricia continued to lead Beth up and Maggie followed them, all three stopping at the door. I remained next to my father, keeping my eyes trained on Shane as Jimmy Rick, Glenn and Daryl stood back, Daryl watching me as if he thought I was about to lash out any second like the look on my face clearly said I was ready to. "Maybe he found her and put her in there before he was killed."

"You expect me to believe that, do I look like an idiot to you?"

"I don't care what you believe."

"Okay, everybody just calm down." Rick tried to reason.

"Get him off my land!" My dad demanded.

"Let me tell you something..." Shane started, taking steps towards my dad, one hand reaching out and poking him on they arm, that was is it. That's all I needed.

"Hey! Don't touch him!" I yelled, shoving Shane as hard as I could in the arm causing him to stumble back, but I used his surprise over my strength to quickly grab his gun that was resting in his belt as he fell back.

"Kat!" Maggie called as I raised the gun, pointing it at Shane as I cocked it. No one moved. At first I don't think Shane believed I would do it, but the longer he looked back at me he could see that if he made one more move, I would.

I felt a hand on my wrist, slowly lowering it back down and gently taking the gun from my hands. I only realized it was Daryl when I turned and walked up the stairs, taking Beth's hand and leading her inside.

"Haven't you done enough?" I heard Maggie's last retort before following after us.

"I mean it. Off my land." I faintly heard my dad add before following us with Patricia who was then followed by Glenn.