Chapter 56 - Polaroids

Third Person - Glenn

"We were running a convoy in one of these." Abe was saying as he laid down underneath the military grade truck he and his people (Eugene and Rosita) had been driving, with everyone crowded around and waiting patiently. They had been attacked by walkers, but the truck had unfortunately come out a victim. "Coming up a dune there was this camel that looked like it was about to puke. Probably because it had about 4 pounds of C4 packed up its ass. We were within 20 feet of that blast that sent that animal's hump about half a click into the desert... and we drove home." He finished his story as he began to get up out from underneath the truck and looked to Eugene. "So you tell me how in the holy hell did you possibly kill this truck?"

"A fully amped up state and an ignorance of rapid fire and weapons."

Rosita glanced away with an eye roll until her gaze found something on the ground; a Polaroid of a young girl with brunette hair. "Is this yours?" She asked Glenn. He took it from her, but didn't offer so much as a thank you.

After he had passed out they had loaded him into their truck and kept moving and now he had to turn around and walk back. He was in the middle of an argument with Abraham, their shockingly well build red headed leader, when the noise had drawn a herd over and they were forced to open fire.

"Sorry about your ride." He said to Abe before handing him back the gun he had borrowed in the fight. "I hope you guys make it to Washington." Abe nodded and Glenn turned his back before beginning on his trek to find his wife. Tara followed after him.

Rosita glanced over to her two travelling companions and sighed before turning and following after them, yelling back over her shoulder to them "Well, what the hell else are we gonna do?"

"Go to Washington!" Abe yelled back, but she kept moving. "Fix the whole damn world!"

Abe felt his blood pressure rising. What they were doing was more important. They could end all of this. Them and Eugene. They needed more numbers and the fact that these new people didn't understand the importance of it angered him. You see... Eugene believed he knew how to save the world, how to cure the world and Rosita and Abe were going to make sure he did it.

Eugene, their saviour, walked up beside him, watching as their friend and two new companion walked further away before speaking to the man who had made it his mission in life to protect him.

"That way's clear, who know what's North. We'll find another vehicle and we'll go with them until we do. Trust me, I'm smarter than you." He finished before grabbing their bags and heading on his way, Abe following with an annoyed huff.

Miles down the road Abe had fallen in step with Tara taking up the back, Glenn always in the lead.

"Gotta hand it to him. He's a persistent son of a bitch. I get why you're following him." He said to her. "You're loyal, you're a good person. I like it. But what we're doing... I don't know how else to say it. Saving the world is just... it's more important. I mean, even if he does find his wife, so what? How long do you think they'll live happily ever after if we don't get Eugene up to Washington?"

"You think because I'm following Glenn it makes me a good person? I'm not."

He chuckled. "You're good."

"You don't know anything about me. Just like I don't know anything about why you're going to Washington. I get why Eugene's going. He's the only one that knows how to end this and Rosita, she loves you, she'd follow you anywhere. But why the hell you agreed to drive him halfway across the country..."

"You find it hard to believe I want to save the world?"

"Because you're a good person?" She mocked. "You don't have to tell me why... just don't lie to me."