Chapter 3 - Gravestone Pyramid

I woke early the next morning, before the sun had risen and quietly crept downstairs. I left a note in the kitchen and then headed for the stables to saddle up a horse and go for a ride. I didn't do this often, but enough to clear my head and think things through.

I was still sticking with not saying anything about Shane and waiting to see what he would do, keeping a close eye on him. Once Carl was back on his feet dad would probably just send them on their way quietly with a few supplies, it would be best that way; for it to be done quietly without causing trouble and putting anyone else in danger. I didn't know Shane well enough to work out how he would react when confronted and I didn't want to find out. My top priority was keeping my family safe.

I had no system with the horses I rode. I alternated between them, keeping them all fit and healthy. Today I chose Casper; a young grey stallion.

I was gone for a few hours before I made it back home just after the sun had risen. I would have gone straight to the stables, but I saw a gathering out the front of the house and decided to investigate.

The rest of Rick's group had apparently risen early as well to reunite with their other people at the farm. The first thing my eyes rested on was a very nice looking 1976 Triumph Bonneville. Remember my ex (not really boyfriend), Mike? Well I met him in college and Maggie was the only one of the family whom I had introduced him to when she came to visit me. Well he was a biker and lets say he taught me a lot and this motorbike... hell of a ride.

P.S. Only Maggie knows about Mike and it's going to stay that way.

The other vehicles were an old RV and a light green Hyundai soccer mum type thing.

Casper came to a galloping halt near the gathered group, instantly causing the new comers to snap their heads around to me while my family didn't really pay much attention. There were four new faces. Two women; one with short grey hair and another with shoulder length blonde hair just a little shorter than mine, and then two more men. One was about my dad's age and wore a fishing hat while the other was around Rick's age, early thirties, and held on to a crossbow and was clearly the owner of the bike. Remembering what Glenn had said last night about the guy with the crossbow, I assumed it was Daryl Dixon, brother of this Merle guy who owned the drugs.

"How'd it happen?" The old man asked Rick, turning his head away from me.

"A hunting accident. That's all... just a stupid accident." Rick explained before he turned around to face my dad. "This is Hershel, the owner of this place, he and his people saved Carl's life. This is Patricia, Maggie, Beth, Jimmy..." Rick turned back to face me where I still sat on the horse on the other side of his group, the crossbow guy occasionally throwing me looks, apparently not liking having strangers behind him, "and Katherine."

"Kat." I quickly jumped in. I always felt like I was in trouble if someone used my full name.

Rick nodded in agreement before turning back to his people. "They lost one of theirs... Otis, last night when he went out with Shane to grab supplies for Carl. We're having a funeral in an hour or so." Rick said gravely. "I'd like us all to show our respects... he helped save Carl's life."

"Of course." The women with blonde hair nodded just before looking over Rick's shoulder and to my dad. "I'm Andrea." She introduced herself.

"Dale." The older man nodded, stepping forward and shook dad's hand just as, I'm guessing, Daryl threw another look over his shoulder at me, making it quite clear that he'd prefer me to walk the horse over to my family so he could keep an eye on us all, but I didn't move. I'm stubborn like that sometimes.

"Carol." The women with short grey hair said through a weak smile and a small voice.

It was silent for a moment longer before Rick spoke up, "And that's Daryl." He introduced the man, confirming my suspicion of who he was, when it became clear that he didn't want to do it himself.