Chapter 51 - Exit

From now on Kat swears. Not often, but when the occasion calls for it. The show has started to add it in (not on free to air though) so I am as well.

Everything broke out into screams and gunfire all around me. I don't know who yelled first and I don't know who fired first. My heart began to pound so hard I was sure I was seconds away from collapsing. Rick ran back as the enemy opened fire. Beth and Maggie screamed and shot in rage. I didn't need to turn to them to know that.

But I froze. The gun began to lower from the position I held it at on the fence as I took a step back and then another as I stared at the body on the ground across the field. His head rested at an awkward ankle, half decapitated, blood all around.

Shock took over and it was all I could do to remain on my feet. He was dead. He was dead and I missed. He was in my sight, I had one of the sniper rifles... and I missed.

The tank began to move forward and the shock began to leave me as anger took over. Deep shaky breaths took over from the pounding in my chest as I took back my aim. The Governor was behind the tank with some men, fully covered. Others drove in vehicles, following after it as it mowed down the two front fences and then taking off in front. A few stragglers decided to take their chances on foot. Five of them. I fired once and one fell to the ground. The sound of an automatic rifle took down three more and I looked to my side and saw Daryl taking cover behind some stood up crates. A fired and took out the fifth.

One after another people began to disappear from the courtyard, running for the bus. The tank took fire, taking out a window in C block.

"Kat!" I heard Beth's voice scream. I took one last shot at a guy who unfortunately for him poked his head out from around the tank and then ran for my sisters. "I'm out of ammo." Beth said.

"Get to the bus" I immediately said.

"We'll cover you." Maggie nodded.

"No. I will." I said quickly. "If you don't get back inside now, you might not be able to soon. Go and get Glenn." I said to Maggie.

She seemed to realise this as well and nodded before slightly shoving Beth back towards the bus and running with her. I held my position for a little longer as Daryl began to work his way over to me with his automatic.

"I can't see Rick anymore." I said to him right away. The tank was now right near the courtyard, just a few more metres away from knocking down the last fence.

"I saw him with the Governor down the bottom, but I lost Michonne." He answered as the fence began to creek. He fired and then I fired, pausing again as we took cover.

"I'm nearly out." I said turning my back just in time to see a walker coming up behind us. I quickly reached for the hunting knife that was always strapped to Daryl's side and rammed it between it's eyes as he reloaded and proceeded to fire at the men by the tank. The noise was drawing more and more walkers in and now there was no barrier between them and us.

Another one attacked and Daryl grabbed a piece of led pipe that was lying on the ground and ripped it up through the back of it's head before I could lunge again with the knife.

"I'm going in, use the distraction to get to the bus."

"What! You can't."

"Kat, don't argue. You're nearly out of ammo. Get to the bus." He said and pulled out a grande, still holding onto the walker with the led pipe and the began to move, using it as a shield against the ongoing fire.

I took aim again and took out another man who was firing at Daryl as I began to back up, sticking close to the fence and the crates we were using as cover. And then another just as he through the grenade. Then I was out of ammo, turning my back and running for the bus. Whether or not Daryl would meet me there would determine if I was going to get on it or grab another gun or ammo off someone there.