Chapter 25 - A Calf Named Abbey

I have a Daredevil fanfic that I currently can't seem to stop writing if anyone is interested. So, please check it out. It's called 'Thorns Of A Rose.'

I slept in longer than planned, waking up to a distant rattling noise. I came out of my cell and walked down the stairs, through the gates to the block to find Daryl, Rick, T and my dad crowded around a table, looking over weaponry they had collected from around the prison.

"Not bad." Daryl noted.

"Flashbangs, CS Triple-Chasers. Not sure how they'd work on walkers, but we'll take it." Rick stated.

I was still a little sleepy, my eyes only just adjusting as I walked up beside Daryl and my dad, looking over the table while Daryl picked up a helmet that had been collected from one of the guards.

"I ain't wearing this shit." He announced, remnants of a walker dripping out of the object like goo as I made a face at it, the smell also not pleasant as I leaned back closer to my dad and away from the helmet Daryl was holding.

"We could boil 'em." T-Dog suggested, picking up an elbow pad.

"Ain't enough firewood in the whole forest. No." Daryl shot back at the same I shook my head at T's idea. "Besides, we made it this far without 'em, right?" He stated, now picking up a metal pipe and pretending to swing it like a baseball bat in slow motion in my direction as a smiled, swatting it away a little.

"Oh." Was the noise that left my mouth, spotting a weapon that intrigued me, a big grin on my face as I picked up the grenade.

"Hershel?" Carol asked, joining us and then gesturing for Hershel to follow her, presumably to see Lori.

"Everything all right?" Rick asked.

"Yeah. Nothing to worry about." Carol responded before walking away.

My dad went to follow her, but stopped. "Katherine?" He asked in that tone that made me feel like I was ten years old again.

"Yeah?" I asked, looking up from the grenade that he then took from my hand and placed back down on the table before taking the metal pipe from Daryl's hand and putting it in mine before finally leaving. "You know I'm 25!" I yelled after him. I could potentially be 26 by now, really, but I wasn't certain.

"Still your father!" He yelled back as I rolled my eyes with a hint of a smile, remaining quiet for a moment before looking over to Rick expectantly.

"What's a CS Triple-chaser?" I then asked with a grin as he smiled back and shook his head before beginning my lesson on CS triple-chasers and flashbangs.

***

Most decided on wearing the body armour; T-Dog, Glenn, my dad and Maggie. Beth, Lori, Carol and Carl were staying behind while we all went out to look for the cafeteria, although Carl was less than impressed about it.

"You're kidding." He said to Rick.

"We don't know what's in there. Something goes wrong, you could be the last man standing. I need you to handle things here."

Carl nodded, agreeing to the responsibility. "Sure."

My dad tried to force at least a vest on me, but the thought of it made me want to hurl. Daryl and Rick weren't wearing any, but I wasn't about to play the "but they don't have to," card like a seven year old so instead I just played the "sorry, I'm stubborn and I get it from you," card.

This worked... or at least I thought it had, but when I turned to pick up my machete a vest was suddenly thrown over my head and pulled down before I could do anything. Once it was on there was no point arguing so I simply gave Daryl a nice glare for teaming up with my father who looked more than content. Beth did up the buckles on the side and once we were all ready we were on our way.