Chapter 33 - It's Not That Easy

Not overly proud of this chapter. I don't like the flow and it's poorly written, but I'm so tired right now that I find myself unable to do better. I may go back over it tomorrow, but for now here you go, let me know what you think please. 

Third Person - Prison.

Carol sat on the edge of her bed in her cell block, the colour now beginning to return to her skin now that she'd had some fluids and food.

Kat had been right. She wasn't dead. Trapped in a storage room with walkers outside after having lost her weapons and no way of defending herself. So she hid. Daryl found her and carried her back to the cellblock. Daryl now sat with Hershel and Carol until Rick came running in.

"Carl, get a blanket. Beth, water and a towel." He ordered.

Daryl stood up along with Hershel and went out to see what was happening. Rick was supporting a dark skinned woman with long dreadlocks. She had a katana as a weapon and a bullet wound in her leg.

"She's not coming in the cell blocks." Rick explained. "Whoa, whoa, whoa. Steady now." He said, laying her down as Carl placed the basket of powdered formula and a machete that the woman had turned up with on the table.

"It's all right. It's all right." Rick was saying to her as Beth came over with water and a towel. Rick splashed her a little to wake her up. "Hey, hey, look at me. Look at me. Who are you?" He asked. "It's all right." He added again when she looked around at her surroundings, beginning to panic a little.

Then her eyes landed on her katana that lay a few feet away from her. She reached for it, but Rick pushed it away with his foot.

"No. We're not going to hurt you unless you try something stupid first, all right?"

"Rick." Daryl caught his attention. "Who the hell is this?" Rick didn't answer, not knowing the answer.

"You wanna tell us your name?" Rick tried again. "You wanna tell us your name?" He tried once again, still nothing as she sat up a little and only stared back.

"Y'all come on in here." Daryl said to Rick when it was clear he wasn't getting far.

"Everything all right?" Rick asked as he stood up.

"You're gonna wanna see this." Daryl said this.

Rick turned back to the woman, holding up her sword. "We'll keep this safe and sound." He said. "The doors are all locked. You'll be safe here. And we can treat that." Rick pointed to her wound.

"I didn't ask for your help." She stated.

"Doesn't matter." Rick turned his back and began to leave. "Can't let you leave." He said.

Rick and Daryl left the room they were locking her in for the time being and closed the doors behind them. Daryl led Rick to Carol's cell and then stood back. Rick stared for a moment as Carol smiled up at him until finally a smile broke out on his face. Carol struggled to get to her feet and then Rick immediately pulled her in for a hug.

"Thank God." He breathed. "How?"

"Solitary."

"Poor thing fought her way into a cell. Must have passed out. Dehydrated." Daryl explained.

Beth came into the doorway, holding the newborn baby. Carol smiled, but then stopped, turning back to Rick, realisation coming to mind as a few tears broke free.

"I'm sorry." Carol whispered.

Kat POV.

I had been listening for hours as Merle beat Glenn, trying to get something out of him. Glenn of course said nothing, but that only meant that he would move on to me or Maggie next. He had brought us to a town; a community of people. At least I think he had, we hadn't seen much in our arrival, coming through a back entrance and then straight into separate holding cells. They were only to keep us separated and not allow us to see each other, but everything could be heard through these walls. Maggie was in the middle cell which meant she could hear everything on both sides while I couldn't hear any talk coming from Glenn's, but the beatings were certainly loud enough. Of course any words that were being said couldn't actually be made out, having been muffled by the bricks.