Chapter 39 - Yes

The early morning sun shinning through the windows with a golden glow was the last thing I wanted to see. The fresh, cool morning breeze carrying through the cellblock was the last thing I wanted to feel.

I turned around and curled into Daryl's side and his arm moved to my back as he began to wake up. Then I heard the last thing I wanted to hear from the last person I wanted to be anywhere near.

"Rise and shine, Little Brother. Sheriff Rick wants to see you." Merle Dixon informed as he came up to the doorway. "Both of you."

I felt Daryl move his head to look back at his brother while I refused to turn back around, preferring to just pretend I was still asleep, however, I didn't need to turn around to picture the grin on Merle's face.

"Get outta here, Merle." Daryl grumbled back.

It was a few seconds later until I heard Merle's retreating footsteps. It was silent for another moment before Daryl began to shuffle, needing to get up. I groaned in agitation, not wanting to do anything, preferring to be ignorant about loosing our last safe and peaceful moments. He managed to get into a sitting position as I rolled on to my back and stared up at the ceiling.

"Do we have to move?" I asked with a sigh in my voice as I closed my eyes again.

"Mmhmm." He hummed back, also still adjusting as he rubbed his eyes. "You can stay down for a bit longer, I'll tell Rick you're coming." He offered.

I shook my head and sighed one last time before beginning to sit up. "Better not."

We got dressed quickly before making our way downstairs, passing a still somewhat grinning Merle while the other remained ignorant. Rick was outside with my dad, the two apparently waiting on us.

There were no pleasantries, no time to prepare, Rick just got straight to the point, starting his explanation of a small detail that he had left out about his meeting with the Governor the previous day. The Governor was willing to leave us be, strike a truce... for one thing. Michonne. If we handed her over he would stand down.

"It's the only way." Rick stated. "No-one else knows." He said, looking between me and Daryl, indicating that my father had already been informed.

"You gonna tell 'em?" Daryl asked, the sound of his voice a clear indicator that he wasn't okay with this plan.

"Not till after." Rick stated.

"After?" A questioned. "You've already decided then? Rick, she's helped us, she's earned her place. Even if you do hand her over the likelihood of the Governor sticking his word is slim. He'll probably turn on us right away."

"And if he doesn't? This could save all of our lives."

"Not all." I whispered. "Besides, who's to say next week or next month he won't be asking for Merle next?"

"Nothing. But it's worth a shot. And it gives us more time. It has to be done today." He stated. "It has to be quiet."

"You got a plan?" Daryl asked, pacing slightly with his crossbow slung over his back.

"We tell we need to talk." Rick started to explain. "Away from the others."

It was silent for a moment as everyone exchanged glances before Daryl started to slowly shake his head. "Just ain't us, man." He said.

"No. No, it isn't." Dad said before taking his leave abruptly, swinging away on his crutches. I didn't think he would be on board with it, but his only plan out of this situation was to move on and try our luck back out on the road. That wasn't an option. With his leg and now Judith. I couldn't allow that.