Chapter 34 - Liars, Thugs, and Cowards

Rick grabbed out another smoke grenade. There was no getting out of this place quietly and they would see us eventually, so we might as well take the upper hand and bring their attention right to us by smoking up their vision to prevent good aim. Of course it would affect us as well, but we'd been looking around to where the people were, we had a decent idea whereas they didn't.

Rick threw it out the door along with a few others and we all ran. It was only seconds before we were being fired on and where firing back ourselves. I had been given a handgun and was aiming it at wherever I heard a shot being fired in our direction.

"Go! Get Cover. Over there!" Rick yelled to us, taking the lead over to a building with an archway. "Go, Go, Go."

"How many?" Rick yelled over to Oscar who was covering himself nearby.

"I didn't see."

"Don't matter." Daryl stated. "There's gonna be more of them. We need to move."

They continued to fire, mostly at the smoke, not having seen us run off to the side.

"Any grenades left?" Rick asked.

"Uh-huh." Daryl nodded.

"Get 'em ready. We gotta gun into the wall."

"You guys go ahead. I'm gonna lay down some cover fire." Daryl stated.

"No, we gotta stay together." Maggie responded.

"Too hairy. I'll be right behind ya." Daryl insisted.

"And whose going to cover you?" I demanded.

"I can get through easier on ma own, bigger groups draw more attention." He insisted, but I wasn't sure if he meant it or was just saying it to get us to go. "Ready?" He asked, grabbing out the grenade and then moving to throw it out towards the gate.

"Move!" Rick demanded. "Let's get out of here." Rick took the lead again and the others followed him, but I was last, still staring at Daryl like I thought this was a terrible idea.

"Kat, go. I'm right behind ya. Move!" Daryl insisted before shoving me forward and I had no choice but to run and catch up to the others.

"This way!" Oscar yelled, seeing a truck that we could climb on top of to get over.

Oscar jumped up first and then proceeded to help Maggie and I up. Maggie kept going while Oscar jumped back down and began to help Glenn with me grabbing his arm from the top, but just as Glenn reached the top a gunshot fired and Oscar was thrown back and to the ground.

"No!" Glenn yelled as I turned my weapon in the direction of the shooter, but Rick had already beaten me to it.

"Glenn, keep going!" I yelled before I leapt down off the bonnet of the truck, grimacing at the impact as that dull ache returned, and then running over to Oscar and checking the wound and then for a pulse, but found none. "Damn it!" I half yelled to myself in anger, getting back to my feet and pulling the gun up to fire a bullet into his head, ensuring that he wouldn't join the walking dead. "Rick!" I yelled over to our leader. "Come on!" He caught up and we both climbed back up onto the truck.

"Daryl!" I yelled out, turning back around to face Woodbury.

"Go!" He yelled back before firing again at more of them, but I didn't move.

I shook my head as Daryl turned to face us again. "Rick, go!" He yelled, deciding he'd have more chance convincing him. Rick grabbed my arm and started to pull me back before turning me around and demanding I keep moving.