Chapter 69 - Alexandria

It was an early start the next day. The RV drove down the road, filled to the brim. It hadn't been a good nights sleep yet again and Kat felt like she was near dead on her feet as she leant up against a wall in the RV, her eyes struggling to stay open. Eugene and Tara played a game of cards and Abe drove. Washington could be seen in the distance. Rick, Carl Judith and Michonne followed in an old beat up car. They were half way there when the RV stopped. The battery died. Typically. But Glenn and Abe got it running again before long at all and by midday they were pulling up to the walls and gates and a place Aaron called Alexandria. It looked strong, Kat thought. Strong enough to give a good illusion of safety.

Aaron got out first and then everyone else after him. The gates opened and he helped the wounded Eric through them while the group made their way slowly after them, stopping before they could walk through and then waited. A loud rustle and bang behind them snapped all the attention around and Daryl quickly spun and fired an arrow, killing a possum that had been squirrelling around the trash. Dinner was his thought, but Aaron looked on in surprise. As did the new people on the other side of the fence as Daryl picked up the dead animal. "We brought dinner." He said, the group standing around, each one armed and at the ready.

"It's okay." Aaron said to his friend who was looking over this new group with distrust. "Come on in, guys." Slowly, they did, looking back when the gates rolled shut behind them.

"Before we take this any further, I need you all to turn over your weapons. If you stay, you hand them over." The new guy explained.

"We don't know if we want to stay." Rick replied.

"It's fine, Nicolas." Aaron said to the man.

"If we were going to use them, we would have started already."

"Let them talk to Deanna first."

"Who's Deanna?" Abe quickly asked.

"She knows everything you would want to know about this place. Rick... why don't you start?" Aaron offered.

A moan was heard behind them, outside the fence. Rick turned. "Sasha." He instructed with her name. She turned, shot the walker and then turned back as the outer layer of the fence closed shut. "Good thing we're here." Rick said.

They were taken to a house, waiting outside for their "audition" as Aaron had called it earlier. Rick went first, passing Judith over to Carl before he walked in. They waited and they waited until Rick finally came out. A woman came with a trolly and Rick instructed for his group to begin handing over guns saying it was alright to do so.

"They're still your guns." Deanna explained after she had made her group introduction. She was a shorter, older woman with short reddish brown hair. "You can check them out whenever you go beyond the wall, but inside here... you store them for safety." She said as they all began to hand in their weapons one by one.

Kat stood back, not moving. It was only the guns. They could keep their knives and other such things. Daryl even got to keep his crossbow, but she didn't like it. Luke began to move forward with his slingshot, but Kat's hand quickly darted out and grabbed his shoulder, stopping him from moving forward. Deanna caught this and smiled at him before he gaze drifted up to the woman who was yet to hand over her rifle.

"Kat." Rick's voice called and she dragged her gaze to him. All he did was nod and with a firmly set jawline she finally stepped forward and put her guns down on the trolly. Carol was there, slowly trying to remove the heavy gun about her shoulders as if she wasn't very capable of handling it. Kat's eyes narrowed for a second. Only the briefest of seconds before she quickly stepped forward and "helped" Carol remove it before offering her a comforting arm and leading her back tot he group.