Chapter 31 - Lil' Ass-Kicker

This chapter took a while to write, but I promise it's worth it at the end :). 

The baby cried. It seemed like the only sound in the world after Rick had gone quiet. He sat in a daze, kneeling on the ground. Daryl went up to him, but he was too deep in shock to fully process anything around him.

"Rick, you with me?" Daryl asked. "Rick?"

I walked over to Maggie, holding my arms out to take the baby from her. She shook slightly and fresh tears still stung her face and continued to make new trails down her cheeks. Once I held it safely in my arms, Maggie turned back to Glenn and I then realised it was a little girl.

"Let me see the baby." I heard dad call to me.

"What are we gonna feed it? We got anything a baby can eat?" Daryl asked, walking with me over to my dad.

"The good news is she looks healthy. But she needs formula. And soon, or she won't survive."

"No. No way. Not her." Daryl stated. "We ain't losing nobody else. I'm going for a run."

"I'll back you up." Maggie jumped in before I could. I wanted to take her place, wanting her to rest, but I knew this was something she would fight me on. Something she felt she had to do.

"I'll go too." Glenn jumped in, glancing at Maggie.

"Okay, think where we're going." Daryl said to him.

"There's a Piggly Wiggly on 85." Glenn informed.

"No, the baby section's been cleared. Lori asked Kat and me to keep an eye out. Haven't had much luck." Maggie explained.

"Is there a place that hasn't been completed looted?" Daryl asked.

"We saw signs for a shopping centre just north of here." Glenn informed.

"There's a lot of debris on the north roads. You'd have to take the bike." I spoke up.

Daryl nodded. "I can take one of ya." He nodded at Glenn and Maggie.

"I'll go." Maggie stated as I knew she would. Glenn walked over to her and they stepped aside until it was agreed that Maggie would go.

"Beth." Daryl gestured for Beth to come closer, glancing over to Carl he stood back. "Kid just lost his mum. His dad ain't doing so hot."

"I'll look out for him." She nodded.

"You two get the fence. Too many pile up we got ourselves a problem." Daryl yelled over to Axel and Oscar before motioning for Maggie to follow him.

It was then that Rick jumped up, grabbing an axe and taking off towards the door that Maggie and Carl had come from with the baby.

"Rick!" Maggie yelled after him.

"Mags." I called. "Let him go." I knew we couldn't stop him and with the state that he was in it was probably safer for us that we didn't. He had to let it out someway and most of the walkers had been dealt with inside. It was silent for another moment before I nodded at Beth to take the baby from my arms. "I'll get the gate." I said to Daryl who nodded.

"Come on, we're gonna lose the light." He said back to Maggie.

I ran down to the gate and unlocked the padlocks, opening it just as Daryl drove through on the motorbike with Maggie sitting behind him. I shut it quickly and then proceeded to head back up to the others.

"Carl." I gestured for him to come over to me as I knelt down to his height. "I know you don't want me to ask how you're doing so I'm not going to, alright?" He nodded. "Okay, now I want you and Beth to look after the baby. Dad will show you a few things, okay?"