Chapter 30 - Three

Glenn took a box of food down to the prisoners, enough of it to last them a week. Rick, Glenn, Daryl and I were going to cut them loose once we got back from collecting fire wood while Carol, Maggie and T finished up with the cars and began piling up some of the walker bodies. We were to burn them between the two fences in the area that Rick called "the dog run." Originally Glenn had wanted to burn them so as not to draw attention with a fire, but Rick had plans to plant crops and he didn't want to be doing that in walker rotted soil.

"Should I take her out?" Glenn asked once we spotted a walker on the other side of the still creek that was just outside the prison.

"No. If that armoury hadn't been picked clean, we could spare the ammo." Rick explained.

"I'll start making runs. The sooner the better." Daryl added after Rick.

Glenn and Rick walked off, Daryl and I trailing behind at a slight distance to keep a look out for walkers and cover their backs. We kept watch, only needing to take out two walkers that came too close while Rick and Glenn gathered some wood. They had an arm full each and went back and forth throwing it into the dog run through the gap in the wire we had cut when first arriving. We could have gotten more faster if Daryl and I were carrying some as well, but Rick insisted that we just keep watch for safety.

Daryl held the wire back for Glenn and Rick as they carried more through. I had my back to them, looking out at the thick of trees until Daryl caught my attention.

"Looky here." I turned and followed his gaze up to where the others were standing just outside the prison. Carol, T and Maggie were all back over near the cars, but were just now starting to head towards where Lori, Beth and Carl stood with my dad moving along on his crutches that had been found in the infirmary.

A smile spread across my face as I stepped towards the fence and lightly grabbed hold of the wire at the sight. It was the first time he had been properly up and about since the incident.

"He is one tough son of a bitch." Glenn said before chuckling happily.

Daryl motioned for me to come back to the other side of the fence and take a break. He held the wire back as I did, walking over to where Glenn and Rick were watching the scene.

"All right Hershel!" Glenn yelled out happily.

"Shh. Keep your cheers down." Daryl shut him up right away, pointing over to where a couple more walkers started heading towards the prison.

"Oh, man. Can't we just have one good day?" Glenn muttered under his breath.

I continued to observe, the broad smile now replaced with a small proud one, until all ounces of joy were snuffed out by Carl yelling one simple little word.

"Walkers!"

"No!" Rick yelled back, reacting at the same time I did, my feet taking off before I had the chance to process a reaction.

I couldn't be sure, but I think Glenn fixed the wire before running after us, but Rick, Daryl and I sprinted for the gate. Gun shots were fired, but I didn't have the heart to look up, only focussed on my first job... reaching the gate.

"Get out of there! Go! Lori!" Rick was yelling, his feet carrying him faster than Daryl or myself.

The dog run was never ending and somehow by the time we reached the gate, Glenn had managed to catch up, him being the fastest runner of us all. Rick fiddled with the keys until he found the right one and unlocked the padlock.

"Get out of my way!" Rick yelled at Axel and Oscar as we past them, heading to the second gate and lock, this one we didn't bother locking again behind us, only left it open and hoped that maybe they would help.