Chapter 61 - Not Again

Rick ran to the door of the train cart and ripped it open while the rest of us covered him on the ground from the approaching walkers.

"Come on!" He yelled. "Run to the fence." He instructed before turning around and firing his automatic rifle into the herd. The group came running out with makeshift weapons of parts they had found inside the container, mostly pieces of splintered wood.

We ran for the fence, slashing and hitting as we went, our large group making it easy enough to run through the herd without too much trouble. Walkers had become easy kills. The only people who were not proactive in our escape were Eugene, Carl, Luke and Molly. Luke and Molly I ordered to stay in the middle of the group, not wanting them to take any chances. Carl couldn't help much more than shoving a few walkers because he didn't have anything to use and Eugene seemed near useless because... well I wasn't sure our supposed genius knew how to do much that included physical activity. But Abe stayed right at his back and did more than enough to cover the two of them. More weapons were found as we ran, both off some dead Terminus members and walkers. Among the dead was a man with a sniper rifle around his shoulder. I took out the two walkers feeding off him and snatched back my gun before, slinging it over my shoulder and continuing on.

I ran for an oncoming group of five walkers, swinging the meat hook forward and slamming it into the side of one's head. The hooks caught slightly, but I yanked the walker forward, pulled my foot up and kicked it back, ripping the hooks from it's skull before quickly shortening the chain, winding it up and slamming it down hard on the second walkers head, shattering it from the top as it crumpled at my feet. I dropped the chain then, deciding I'd had enough of the morning star and belted the meat cleaver across the cheek of the third and then following through quickly with an upper cut to the chin of the fourth which was badly enough decomposed that it slid right through it's head. The fifth came from an awkward angle and my right forearm pressed to its chest and shoved it back into a wall before I pulled out the knife at my belt with my left hand and drove it between its eyes.

Then I heard the sound of a sixth walker from behind me, too close, and when I turned I thought I had been too late, but it fell quick with a shard of wood through it's temple and I nodded a thank-you to Rosita before we kept running.

We came to the fence and Rosita ran right out in front to take out a few walkers through the wire before yelling; "Up and over." To everyone. Rick hung back with his automatic with me right behind him for backup and Daryl not far off as the others began to make the climb.

Then I heard it. A distant panicked winnie and snicker from a horse. My head whipped to the right and there she was. Nelly had been rounded up by someone in Terminus and put behind a weak quickly done wire fence. A few walkers had surrounded her, pushing against the wire as she backed further away, tied down with a long length of rope.

It was Maggie that yelled out before I had even moved, knowing full well what went through my mind. But she was too far away to do anything, Daryl as well and Rick couldn't hear through the gunfire.

"Kat! Don't!" I ran for her. "Rick!" I heard Maggie yell and the next thing I knew was walkers were falling to either side of me from an automatic.

I knocked down more walkers as I ran, mallet in one hand and knife in the other until there was a break and I pulled the rifle around from my back, took aim and shot three at the wire, aiming for a forth, but the gun clicked. No ammo.

I ran again, making it just before the wire snapped from it's weak hold on the fence. I had distracted the walkers enough to pull their attention away from Nelly. Rick's gun fire had stopped and when the walkers close to me were down I looked over to see that he was scrambling over the fence with a herd trapping him. Daryl had also gone over, the lot of them having no other direction to run with a tight herd running after them.