Chapter 44 - Contaminated

My eyes fluttered open the next day, much like they had the day before, but less peaceful. I took in a deep breath and rolled on to my back, rubbing my eyes as they adjusted.

"You didn't sleep well." Daryl stated, still lying next to me.

"No. I didn't wake you at all did I?"

"No, I barely slept." He informed, saying he had his own sleeping issues. He went to move out of bed, but I grabbed his arm and pulled him back lightly that he complied to.

"Not yet." I whispered.

He looked over his shoulder at me and stared for a moment before leaning down and hovering an inch above my lips for a second before I closed the distance. I wrapped my arms around his neck, pulling him down a little further as he readjusted his position. His hand had only just slipped under my shirt and rested on my side when a gunfire echoed throughout the prison, pulling us apart.

Daryl leapt to his feet and quickly grabbed a shirt as I got to mine and ripped on some jeans over my bike pants. He grabbed his crossbow and gun while I grabbed mine and the machete.

We came running down the stairs, meeting up with Sasha and Tyreese at the bottom.

"There's nothing here." Sasha informed.

"D block." Tyreese stated.

"Dad stay on watch!" I yelled over my shoulder to my father who came out of his cell before we took off outside.

"Lock the gates!" Daryl added.

"Walkers in D!" We heard Glenn yell as we came running down the stairs and out into the courtyard.

"What about C?" Rick yelled back worried about Judith as he came running through the gate after he'd been down with his crops and pigs.

"Clear!" Sasha quickly informed. "We locked the gates to the tombs. Hershel's on guard."

"It ain't a breach." Daryl added.

We kept running until we came to D block. A guy stood with a shot gun, firing at a walker, but he wasn't the most skilled shot. His stance and the way he stumbled back upon firing a clear indicator. Daryl snatched the gun from his hands and moved into the cell, handing the gun over to Rick who didn't have a weapon. I ran behind Daryl as Rick stayed at the entrance ushering people out, asking if they were bit as they ran past him in a panic.

There weren't many walkers in the cellblock, but most people in D were the leftovers from Woodbury, the ones who couldn't fight.

"Get up!" Daryl yelled at a young boy named Luke who had fallen over on the ground, right in front of a walker that tried to crawl it's way over to him. Daryl ran to the boy and lifted him up and away as I drove my machete through the back of its head. "Take him out." Daryl instructed, handing me Luke and not really leaving room for argument so I ran back to the door with the boy and took him outside.

Everyone was in a panic outside, but there were no walkers, it was safe out here. I put Luke down and went to go back, but the boy grabbed my hand.

"I have to go back." I said. He looked like he was in shock, words not able to form as he simply just shook his head. "Go to C block." I then told him. "You know my father, Hershel?" He nodded. "He's on guard there, tell him I said it was okay to let you in. It's clear in there, okay?" He nodded again. "Alright, go." I lightly pushed him along a bit before he took off to C block, everyone else remaining outside in the courtyard before I left to go back to D.

"Are we clear down here?" Rick yelled out as I skidded through the door.

"Yeah." Sasha yelled back.