Chapter 11 - You're Afraid

'But if your strife strikes at your sleep

Remember spring swaps snow for leaves

You'll be happy and wholesome again

When the city clears and sun ascends'

I sang softly as I sat beside Beth. We were taking turns watching over her as we waited for Rick and Glenn to return with dad. I had done everything dad would have, but he still needed to be here. The sun had now set and the others were preparing dinner while I watched Beth.

"Kat?" I heard Jimmy's voice as he came into the room. "Dinners ready."

"I'll eat later." I replied.

"Patricia told me not to take no as an answer. I've already eaten, I'll watch her."

I sighed as I got to my feet, nodding slightly before taking my leave. She was getting better. She wasn't dehydrated anymore and I could feel her grip lightly on my hand if I held hers and she smiled when I first started singing.

When I made it downstairs I was more than angry to see Shane at the dinner table with the rest of his group, but I didn't say anything, no longer having the energy. I took up my seat as Carol placed a few plates on the table and then went and called for Lori to come and eat.

"She's not in there." Maggie replied when Carol went to go into the living room.

"Where is she?" Dale then asked and Maggie shrugged as a reply.

"Carl, when's the last time you saw your mum?" Shane asked.

"This afternoon." He stated.

"She was worried about Rick, asked me to look in on Carl." Andrea then spoke up.

"She went after them?" Dale questioned.

"She didn't say that." Andrea replied.

"How long after they had left was this?" I asked.

"20 minutes." Andrea shrugged and I had to suppress an eye roll.

It takes 25 minutes to get to the pub; probably another 20 at least to get my dad out of it and then another 25-minute trip back. If Lori had gone after them she should have at least waited a little over an hour when they would be overdue. No doubt that was the reason she had gone to see Daryl earlier, to get him to go after them.

"Nobody panic. She's gonna be around here somewhere." Shane said as he got up from the table, apparently not believing she had left.

We split up into groups all looking for Lori, while Patricia stayed in the house with Carl and jimmy with Beth.

"Where's Daryl?" Carol asked as we made our way outside.

"About half a mile that way." I pointed in the direction of where I had seen him last, now noticing a distant flame from a campfire. "See that fire? That'll be him."

"What's he doing out there?" Carol asked.

"Getting peace and quiet." I muttered.

Carol sighed and then trudged over to Daryl's new camp while I teamed up with Glenn and Maggie to look. After a while we all came together again out the front of the house, none of us finding her. Carol soon jogged up, apparently running the distance to and from where Daryl was.

"She asked Daryl to go after them, must have gone herself."

"Did you know about this?" Shane questioned Dale.