Ch. 17 Years in Days.

Elliot's P.O.V.

Surprisingly, I woke before Alice. She was on her side facing me, her mouth parted, her breaths gently blowing away the hairs that mingled with her mouth. She was so beautiful... Before the thoughts could continue, I blinked them away. However; I couldn't resist as I gently brushed her hair from her face. 

In response she just let out a little sigh, and rolled over, facing away from me. Knowing the freak out she'd have if she knew I'd slept next to her, I carefully crept off her bed, and discreetly walked out of her room. No one noticed. 

Walking into my room I grabbed my lighter and some cigarettes and went to the roof. 

Alice's P.O.V. 

When I woke up, I rolled over, my room feeling strangely empty. Letting out a long sigh, I sat up, rubbing my face. Groggily, I glanced over at the clock. Six thirty in the morning. Letting out a groan of annoyance, I got up, gathering clothes, and headed to the shower. 

It was odd, the whole night I'd felt this warm presence next to me. It felt safe, it felt protective, and it made me feel at peace. But when I woke up, it was gone. And the only thing left for me was the cold presence of the nightmares ripping apart my mind. Rubbing my face, I stepped in the shower, evaluating the feeling. That warmth, that comfort. What was it? Everything I've dreamed here has meant something, I know of it. Somehow I'm being contacted. And that contact is strong, so what broke it? Letting the soap cascade down my jet black hair, I absently stared forward. Feeling this strange numbness. I wasn't hiding anything, I wasn't feeling anything. All of it was just... normal. 

After a warm shower, I slid on some clothes and looked in the mirror. No markings, nothing. The girl that stared at me somehow looked... dead. No smile, no emotions. Her black hair fell lifelessly to her chest, her t-shirt and jeans seemed dull, her tan skin no longer held the life it once did, her glasses hung on the bridge of her nose, and those dark brown eyes that once held everything, held nothing. Staring at the mirror, I felt something shatter. It wasn't the mirror, it was my heart. There was a fracture, and now a piece of me was gone. Those dreams took something, something I'd never be able to get back. Staring at myself, a tear slipped out of my eye, slowly gliding down my face, shimmering brightly, it glowed from the light, like I once did, and as it slowly fell from my chin, quietly splattering against the countertop. I knew that happiness and comfort dreams once brought me was gone.

Ryder's P.O.V. 

When I walked into the kitchen, Alice sat there. For some reason she looked oddly more mature, like she'd grown years in days. While she usually had semi-bright clothes on, her hair down, and that quirky crooked smile, today she wore dark jeans, and a plain grey tee. Her hair was pinned back, some strands falling down to frame her face. It showed off her defined jawline. When I walked into the kitchen she didn't even glance up or smile. She stared down at her cereal, and absently moved it around with her spoon. 

"Alice?" 

She looked up, even then she only gave me the smallest of smiles. 

"Yes?" 

Her eyes were empty. 

"You alright?" 

"Yup." 

She looked back down at her cereal. 

Something was definitely wrong.