Ch. 38 Awake.

*Alice's P.O.V.*

My eye blinked open, and I was so drowsy, my tongue felt like cotton. I felt soft cloth against my other eye, or eyelid. I no longer had two eyes. Looking around I saw my parents, who were freaking out as they noticed I was awake. Seeing them, I felt my face contort into a frown as I started crying in relief. Hiccuping sobs escaping my lips. I was safe, I was safe.

I was safe.

My mom hugged me, and my limbs felt heavy, but I managed to rest my hand on her's. Right when she pulled back my dad hugged me. I'd never been so happy to see them in my life. Mom let me drink some water, and they were both in tears as they held my hands. I was bruised, and had bandages all over. Mom and Dad both talked to me, about really anything. It helped actually. It helped calm me down, and that's when Elliot stepped in. He was completely silent but his presence was automatically known to me. Elliot.

The only one who truly helped me stay sane.

We made eye contact, and while I was having a hard time talking, my parents got the idea as they realized me staring at Elliot.

Mom patted my hand, giving me a kiss on the forehead, "We'll be back when you need us sweetie."

Elliot sat next to me, and we stared at each other for a few seconds in complete silence. It was such a relief to see him again. Finally, after managing, I let out a quiet, slurred word. "Elliot..." He stared at me, he looked so sad. Shakily I lifted my hand and rested it on his. I felt him stiffen in surprise. "Why...sad?" I managed. He glanced down at my hand, and took it in his. Holding my hand like he'd never let go. I felt him shaking, and before I knew it, tears were slipping out from his eyes. He hung his head, pressing his forehead against our intertwined hands.

"Alice, I'm so sorry, this is all my fault." His voice was whispery with tears, and I felt surprised that he thought this was his fault. It wasn't his fault the lady was insane. He didn't stab me. I shook my head, "No," I said, he looked at me and I was shaking my head. "Not...your...fault." I managed, shaking my head. I lifted my hand, and he let go. I held my hand to his face, cupping the side of it. "You...beautiful." I slurred, he held my hand against the side of his face with wide eyes, dripping with tears. "No Alice, I wasn't strong enough..." Before he could finish his sentence I was already shaking my head.

"You...save...me." I responded, hating my retarded speech but the pain coursing through my body, the cottony feeling of my tongue, and the heaviness in my mind made it hard to talk well. "Alice, I didn't save you. I did the opposite, I let that lady knock me out." He insisted, "No...you...save...me." I insisted, he was shaking his head.

"I...love...you." I managed, his grip on my hand tightened in surprise as he quickly looked back up at me. But I meant those words. I was in love with Elliot. He was the only one who ever helped me, he was always there for me. As his eyes met mine, my gaze didn't falter. Maybe those pain meds were giving me confidence, but I stared back unwaveringly.

"Alice..."

Suddenly the door creaked open and my parents walked in with doctor. Elliot went to put my hand by my side, but I held onto his hand. Not with a strong grip, but he got the point, and let me rest my hand on his.

"Sorry to interrupt." The doctor said, before talking about stuff I couldn't really focus on. I was already falling back asleep as he spoke. I gave Elliot one last glance, and he was staring at the doctor. I loved Elliot, it sucks it took this to realize it, but I did. He was his own worst critic, never giving himself the time of the day. Always pointing out his negatives.

As he looked back at me, and noticed my staring, I knew that I could see his true beauty.

Elliot was a kind soul, if only he would be kind to himself.