Chapter 74 : I do

Standing in front of the mirror, I took in my reflection with a mix of excitement and nervousness. I wore a long, flowing white gown that hugged my curves in all the right places, the intricate lace detailing adding a touch of elegance. My makeup was flawless, accentuating my features, and my hair was swept up into a beautiful chignon, with a few loose tendrils framing my face.

Today was the big day, the day that Engfa and I would say "I do" and commit to spending the rest of our lives together. It was a moment I had been dreaming of for so long, and now that it was finally here, the reality of it all was starting to sink in.

Taking a deep breath, I tried to calm my racing heart, but the butterflies in my stomach seemed to have a mind of their own. My hands were clammy, and I could feel a bead of sweat forming on my brow. The pressure of the moment weighed heavily on me, the weight of a lifetime of dreams and hopes resting on this one day.

Looking at my reflection, I tried to focus on the love and excitement coursing through me. Engfa and I had been through so much together, and today was the culmination of our journey. But despite the nerves and the jitters, there was no doubt in my mind that I was ready to take this next step with her.

As I stood there, lost in my thoughts, the door creaked open, and I turned to see my mother entering the room. Tears welled up in her eyes as she approached me, her emotions written plainly on her face. I wanted to cry too, but I couldn't afford to mess up my makeup.

"Mom, please don't cry," I pleaded softly, trying to hold back my own tears. "I don't want to ruin my makeup."

But my mother couldn't help herself. She rushed forward and enveloped me in a tight embrace, her arms squeezing me close. "My baby girl," she murmured, her voice choked with emotion.

I hugged her back just as tight, feeling the warmth and reassurance of her embrace. "Mom," I whispered.

She pulled back, her hands on my shoulders, and looked at me with so much pride and love in her eyes. "You look absolutely breathtaking," she said, her voice trembling with emotion. "Like a princess."

Despite my best efforts, a few tears escaped my own eyes, trailing down my cheeks. "Thank you," I said, "for everything."

She reached up to gently brush away my tears, her touch comforting and reassuring. "You're my daughter," she replied, her voice filled with tenderness, "and seeing you like this, on your wedding day... it's like a dream come true."

Turning back to the mirror, I took a deep breath and met my own gaze, trying to steady myself. My mother stood beside me, her eyes full of love and admiration as she watched me. "How are you feeling?" she asked, her voice soft and concerned.

I glanced at her reflection and offered a shaky smile. "I'm starting to get nervous," I admitted, my heart fluttering in my chest, "I think I need to take my medication before I faint."

My mother nodded understandingly, her eyes full of concern. "You'll be okay, sweetheart," she reassured me, her voice filled with love. "Just take your time and breathe. Everything will be fine."

With a tender smile, my mother took the bottle of medication from the vanity and handed it to me, her eyes filled with maternal concern. I accepted it gratefully.

"Thank you," I said softly, unscrewing the cap and shaking out a pill into my palm. With practiced ease, I swallowed it down with a sip of water from the bottle beside me.

Once I had taken my medication, I took a deep breath and turned to face my mother, feeling a surge of anxiety creeping back in. "What if Engfa decides to run away and doesn't want to go through with the wedding?" I voiced my fear, the worry evident in my voice.