Chapter 61 : thawing hearts

Standing there, wedged between Davika and Engfa, an awkward feeling took hold of me. It was all so sudden and surreal. I looked from Davika to Engfa and back again, feeling the weight of their presence and the complexity of feelings that swirled around us.

Taking a deep breath, I gently took my jacket from Davika's hands, my mind reeling with mixed thoughts and emotions. "I think I'll go home," I said softly.

It was the safest option, a way to escape the growing tension and confusion of the situation. The evening's events had left me unsettled, questioning the true nature of Davika's feelings and my own emotions towards Engfa.

"I'll take you home," they said in perfect harmony. The timing of their words remained suspended in the air, creating a moment of tension between them. They exchanged a glance, their eyes locking in a silent exchange that seemed to speak volumes.

Their synchronized offers only added to my confusion, leaving me feeling even more torn between them. I glanced from one to the other, unsure of what to say or how to respond.

It was as if I were at a crossroads, with two paths stretching out before me, each leading in a different direction.

Feeling overwhelmed by the tension between them, I decided to take matters into my own hands. "Thank you, but I think I'll just call a taxi," I said, mustering a small smile to mask my unease. "You two should enjoy the rest of your evening." Stepping away from them, I made my way outside and hailed a taxi.

The cool night air brought little relief to the storm of emotions racing inside me. I just wanted to escape, to put some distance between myself and the complicated dynamics at play.

As the taxi approached, a sudden grip on my hand startled me. I turned to see Engfa, wordlessly pulling me towards her parked car a little further away. My heart raced as I hesitated, unsure of what to do. "I can manage on my own," I insisted, but Engfa remained resolute, ignoring my protests as she guided me towards the car. Reluctantly, I followed, feeling a mix of confusion and apprehension about what lay ahead.

Engfa opened the door, and I slid into the car, feeling a wave of warmth envelop me as she started the engine and cranked up the heater. As I settled into my seat, I turned to her, "You've been drinking," I began, "It's not a good idea for you to be driving."

Despite my words, Engfa remained composed, her eyes focused on the road ahead as she pulled away from the curb. "I'm fine," she replied calmly, her hands steady on the wheel.

As the car glided through the streets, a silence settled between us. I stole furtive glances at Engfa, her profile sharp against the soft glow of the dashboard lights. She seemed lost in thought, her focus unwavering on the road ahead.

Outside, the world transformed into a winter wonderland as snowflakes danced delicately in the air, swirling and twirling in a mesmerizing ballet before settling on the ground in a pristine blanket of white. The cityscape took on a magical quality, bathed in the ethereal glow of street lamps and the gentle hush of falling snow.

As Engfa pulled up in front of my building, the snowfall had intensified, veiling the streets in a shimmering curtain of white. The air was filled with a hushed stillness, punctuated only by the soft crunch of snow underfoot.

Stepping out of the car, I tilted my head back, allowing the delicate flakes to kiss my cheeks as they drifted lazily from the sky. It was a scene straight out of a winter fairytale, the soft glow of streetlights casting an ethereal aura over the neighborhood.

With a childlike wonder, I reached out my hands, palms upturned to catch the falling snowflakes, each one a tiny miracle of nature. Despite the late hour, the neighborhood seemed to come alive under the enchanting spell of the snow, bathed in a soft, silvery light.