Chapter 64 : masked emotions

(flashback chapter 56-57)

I helped Pichy into my car, making sure she was comfortable before gently closing the door. I had been accompanying her to her physical therapy sessions to help her regain her strength and muscle tone. I'd been in Thailand for several months, successfully running my business. However, being here for Pichy was just as important to me.

Despite the distance, thoughts of Charlotte occupied my mind constantly. With each passing day, her absence weighed heavier on my heart. I couldn't shake the fear that she had moved on, perhaps even found someone else. It was understandable, given the circumstances, but deep down, I held onto hope that we could mend things.

As we arrived home, Pichy settled onto the couch while I fetched her a glass of water. Sitting beside her, I handed her the glass and shared the news. "I spoke to your doctor during your session today," I began, "and I've arranged with him for you to come with me to New York."

Pichy looked at me with a sigh and gently shook her head. "We've already discussed this, Engfa," she said softly. "I don't want to go to New York. You can go back there without me. It's time for you to resume your life too."

I pleaded with her, grasping her hand gently. "I know, Pichy, I know," I said, my voice tinged with desperation. "But this time, in New York, I can find you the best doctors for your treatment. You don't have to go through this alone. Please, let me help you."

"Engfa, you've already helped me more than you know," she said softly.

"Listen," I insisted, my voice filled with determination. "I've already sorted everything out in New York. I've made arrangements, I've contacted someone to find the best doctor in the city for you. You can even stay in the apartment across from mine. Everything is set up, ready for you."

After a moment's contemplation, Pichy's gaze returned to the wall as she weighed up her options. Finally, she sighed softly and turned to me. "Okay," she said, "I'll come with you."

I was taken aback by her agreement, my heart soaring with relief and gratitude. Pulling her into a tight embrace, I explained all the details of our departure, relieved to have her by my side.

----

After weeks of preparations, Pichy and I were finally on the plane. I made sure she was comfortably settled in first class. As we soared through the sky, I couldn't help but feel a sense of anticipation building within me. I was eager to return to New York, to my company, and most importantly, to see Charlotte again.

As we landed in New York, a blast of cold air greeted us as we stepped out of the airport. It was a stark contrast to the warm weather we left behind in Thailand. I watched as Pichy wrapped her coat tighter around herself, adjusting to the sudden change in temperature.

The town came to life around us, with people striding past, coats buttoned up and scarves wrapped tightly around their necks. The cold in the air hinted at the imminence of winter.

My driver, holding a sign with my name, stood waiting for us. I guided Pichy towards him, relieved to finally be back in the bustling streets of the city. The sounds of honking cars and the sight of skyscrapers welcomed me home, and I couldn't wait to dive back into the fast-paced life of New York.

As we drove through the lively streets of Manhattan, I watched Pichy staring out of the window, lost in thought. The city's iconic skyline stretched out before us, a maze of towering buildings that seemed to touch the sky.

Pulling up to the entrance of my luxury apartment building, I felt a wave of relief. The doorman greeted us with a warm smile as we got out of the car, and I exchanged a few words with him before leading Pichy to the private elevator that would take us to my apartment.