Chapter 31 : the lake getaway

The morning greeted me with a pounding headache that seemed determined to split my skull open. As I blinked my eyes open, the realization of my surroundings slowly dawned on me—a vast and luxurious bedroom that felt almost too grandiose to be real.

Sitting up abruptly, I cradled my head in my hands, attempting to dull the throbbing ache. Then, like a floodgate opening, memories of the previous night came rushing back to me—the nightclub outing, the vomiting, the call to Engfa, the embarrassing mess I made at her place, and the brief exchange we had.

Glancing around the room, I noticed Engfa was nowhere to be seen, prompting a brief moment of confusion. Had it all been a dream? Shaking off the remnants of sleep, I rose slowly from the bed, taking in the opulence of Engfa's surroundings. The sheer size of her room dwarfed my own apartment, leaving me in awe of the extravagance before me.

I stepped out of Engfa's room and followed the faint sound of activity to the kitchen. As I entered, the sunlight streaming through the windows bathed the apartment in a warm glow, illuminating everything in a serene light.

Engfa was standing in front of the stove, trying to flip an omelet. My heart softened at the sight of her, absorbed in her culinary work. For a few moments, I simply watched her, admiring her determination.

"Hey," I said to Engfa with a gentle smile, "I thought you'd have a professional chef on duty, not you struggling with an omelet."

Engfa chuckled softly, turning to face me. "I thought I'd give the chef a day off," she replied, her tone light and teasing. "How are you feeling?" she asked, her voice gentle.

I rubbed my temples, trying to push away the lingering headache. "Honestly, like I've been hit by a truck," I admitted with a wry smile.

Engfa smiled gently as she handed me the plate, on which was an omelette and some toast, as well as a glass of water and some aspirin. "You should eat and drink," she said gently, with a hint of concern in her voice. "It will help fight the hangover."

I nodded gratefully, taking the tray from her. "Thanks," I replied, feeling a rush of gratitude for her thoughtfulness.

I looked up at Engfa as I picked up my fork, noticing that she hadn't made a plate for herself. "Aren't you eating?" I asked, a touch of concern in my voice.

Engfa smiled faintly and shook her head. "I already ate," she replied.

I paused mid-bite and glanced at Engfa. "Wait, what time is it?" I asked, suddenly realizing that I had no idea how late it was. She glanced at her watch and replied, "It's almost noon."

I blinked at Engfa, my surprise evident. "I slept that long?" Engfa nodded in confirmation. I suddenly realized that I hadn't informed the girls about my departure last night, and they must be worried sick by now.

"Engfa, I completely forgot to let the girls know I left last night. They're probably freaking out by now," I said, feeling guilty for not keeping them updated.

She smiled reassuringly. "Don't worry. I texted Nudee last night to let her know you were with me."

I turned towards Engfa, my cheeks flushing with embarrassment. "Thank you for last night," I began, my voice sheepish. "And I'm really sorry about... you know, the mess." I gestured towards the spot where I had vomited, only to find it impeccably clean already.

Engfa smiled gently, her eyes softening with understanding. "It's okay," she reassured me. "Don't worry about it."

I smiled back at Engfa. "By the way, why didn't you go to work?" I asked, realizing that Engfa worked full-time. "I took the day off," she replied casually.