[54.1] THE KING (part-one)

[SILVER RAYNE WILLIAMS]

When I awake, I simply stare at the unfamiliar ceiling, eyebrows drawn in. Lost.

Then it all returns.

Shit.

I do not know how to explain how I feel about my current predicament. I am relieved that I escaped death and the full punishment of my treason but I am not sure if it is worth being burdened by the fact that I have a lot to achieve before I can finally rest in West House with Vella.

In many ways, I know that I am screwed. Especially with that interaction the Prince and Lady Elise blessed me with last night.

I shut my eyes, groaning, get out of bed by rolling over like a tree trunk, and allow myself to land on the floor with a thud.

I want the pain.

Perhaps it will jolt me out of whatever reality I'm in.

But when I open my eyes again I am still greeted with the same ceiling, I writhe about in frustration on the floor, silently screaming until I feel I've gotten it all out of my system and I am ready for the day.

Then I calmly get up, grab a towel, and march into the bathroom.

When I get out, I move toward my bag—Wait.

Where's my bag?

I freeze, a simple white towel the only thing wrapped around me, whilst the ends of my hair I couldn't completely save from being wet, drip down my shoulder.

I walk to my clothes, ignoring the clink of vials I had packed into my pockets, lifting them as if a bag would suddenly appear beneath them.

But no—

Oh no. The bloody plane.

Shit!  I left it on the plane!

The case, the vials. It was all I could think of. Gone. All gone!

I paced around the room, a panic dissolving through me. How- how could I be this careless!

How was I supposed to-

Three stiff uniformed knocks echoed against the door and my whole body visibly froze mid-panic, my heart pounding within me, knowing that just outside that door, the Tribrid Prince stood.

It was unsettling. Even with all my knowledge that I was supposed to be safe here with him.

I looked down at the towel, and how short it was, clinging to my thighs. I searched around for anything to cover up better.

When I could only spot a sheet, I reached for it, wrapping it around me, before approaching the door.

I had to pause for a moment to gather myself, as I stared down at the door lock, taking a deep breath in. My fingers were shaking slightly as I touched the gold handle.

Slowly twisting it open, I made sure my body was hidden behind the slightly open door as I peeked through.

Nothing.

No one was there.

My eyebrows drew in, opening the door wider into the empty hallway in mild confusion, my leg brushing against something.

I looked down and there was my bag. Placed right before my door.

Relief flooded through me at the sight of it.

I pursed my lips, glancing again through the hallway, before taking it in and locking the door behind me.

Sighing, I placed it on my bed, unzipping it. For a moment I started at its contents thinking. The Prince wouldn't go through my stuff, would he? I had my underwear in here.