[53.2] THE FIGURE (part-two)

[ROMAN ACE VERIDIAN]

Lorana's gaze falls to the case spread before me, then rises back to mine, sparkling with mischief.

"That was quick," I remark.

"It's been years, brother since you closed our connection. I couldn't contain my excitement when I felt you again," she grins.

"You've planned this quite well. You're a step ahead," I commend.

Her lips form a pout.

"Roman," she sighs, "I don't know what you're talking about. I'm here simply because I missed you, my little brother," she smiles.

"Perhaps it's you who has ulterior motives for reopening our connection."

My gaze shifts to the vials, leaving her statement unanswered. Lorana plays games as a hobby; she is not to be underestimated.

"Ah, I see," she smiles, moving towards me.

There are no footsteps to listen for when Lorana approaches. She stops on the opposite side, her gaze tracing the case.

There's no presence to feel besides mine.

In reality, I am all alone. She exists as a mere thought in my head, a presence conjured by a hallucination.

An illusion.

Only she is real. An apparition visible to my eyes alone.

Her fingers trace the vials, whisking through them like ghosts. She hums at this. "They're so—pretty."

Her eyes fixate on the vials with a wonder too vast to articulate.

"How long have you been watching her?" I ask.

Lorana's gaze flicks to me, but she says nothing, throwing me a smile instead, before moving toward the chessboard.

She leans in, her eyes level with it, studying the pieces.

"I beat you once eleven years ago, and you're still at it," she states, humor dancing in her eyes.

"Why are you so obsessed with winning?"

"I do not like to lose."

She grins, "As do I."

She stands gracefully to her full height, watching me. "But I told you, Roman, 11 years ago, and I'll tell you again. I love you. You're my brother. My fight is not with you."

"But with the Empire I am to inherit?"

She scoffs. "Empire? It will be nothing but rubble soon." she grits.

"It's not the kingdom I hate," her gaze lingers on the chessboard. Her fingers trace over the White King and Queen.

"It is simply everything they've built."

My gaze shifts from the chessboard to her.

She looks back at me, and her gaze softens. "With you, brother, I wish nothing but happiness."