[43.1] LORANA (part-one)

[LORD GRAYDON COLLINS]

My gaze shifted down to the helmet in my hands, then to the figure of the human girl storming off and disappearing out the door.

My jaw tightened, taking a breath out as if that would lighten the heavy feeling seated on my chest. The venom in her voice had the strain of a reignited passion.

One of utter detest.

If I had thought the human was learning to trust, whatever progress we had made had certainly dissipated after the cruelty of my words.

It was for her good.

Silver was stubborn and headstrong. All qualities a human at the bottom of the food chain should certainly not possess for her safety. Especially within the walls of Fang Court.

I marvel at these qualities, perhaps it is why I feel I have no hold, no control over the girl from the farthest regions in my territory.

I marvel at her bravery, she reminds me of the men who give their lives on the battlefield, as she has for her sister.

I see these things. I understand her. Perhaps I respect her more than I care to confess.

But not the King.

He was not a man keen on these things. Even if he ventured to search for a being with such qualities, he certainly would cut them off if ever they should surface in that of a human.

Her knowledge of the King's threats would do nothing to serve her, only create chaos. The King's desires were primal, his rule absolute.

She on the other hand is headstrong, and her defiance of his direct orders would only ensure her a quicker death.

And if she were to involve her mother? Her Grace would be affected by it. No doubt her fury would be beyond words. And what Lord Valcon would do to calm her—

I did not wish to think of it.

The stories of when her grace was first brought to the palace were enough to make any vampire fear the King's hand as much as his brother.

For if he was willing to do that to his mate—

My fists tightened around the helmet.

And if he was to learn of it somehow, then the only connection he would make was through me.

Then, He and the King would know of my strange eagerness to go against the orders of my king to protect a mere human.

And I?

Was I ready to come to terms with the consequences of my actions or worse still, did I wish her to know what sort of power she seemed to wield over me?

I walked to the door, staring into the empty hallways as if I wasn't too late to catch a glimpse of her.

"My lord," the guard stationed by it, saluted.

I nodded, not paying particular attention. My mind still far gone.

She had to stay in the confines of her room. Only at night would I get the chance to sneak her out, after I perform my duties as Select in the Kings Race.

"The girl," I began, eyes still ahead.

"My lord?"

"Ensure she does not leave her room under any circumstances."

"I uh-"

My gaze flashed to the guard, darkening.

The guard immediately straightened his posture, bowing "As you command, Lord Select."