[46.1] THE ESCAPE (part-two)

[SILVER RAYNE WILLIAMS]

The back entrance is dark and no one is in sight. There is a singular lamp post, where the car has stopped but it's light is dim, and looks as if it needs to be replaced, flickering in the breeze.

My curls toss gently in the wind and I have to push them away to see better.

I am curious that there are no guards, anywhere for that matter, and for a moment I feel like I'm being smuggled.

Though part of me feels unsafe, I know this is to my advantage.

My gaze shifts to Lord Graydon as he opens the car door for me. I walk towards it, pausing for a moment, my breath short, staring into the darkness within.

My heart beating slightly harder within me accompanied by a tight constriction in my chest.

But this was not the time for dilly-dallying.

He had won.

At least, he had to believe that he had.

That I was somehow going against my own stubborn nature and cooperating.

Pursing my lips, my gaze flashed to Lord Graydons, before taking the bag off my shoulder, putting it in. I was about to follow but before I could, his hand clasped around my arm tugging me back abruptly.

We were close, so close I was sure he could feel my harsh breath whenever I exhaled.

His eyes were fastened in mine.

He let go of my arm, seemingly confused at his action, shaking his head and pinching the bridge of his nose, taking a step back.

"I- uhm.." he trailed off, pausing for a moment as if trying to compose himself.

My heart beat wilder within me.

It was working but he was wasting time.

I noticed the lofty look in his eyes when they shifted back to mine, but he blinked a few times, as if trying to clear them.

His gaze narrowed down on me, pursing his lips, "I-" he paused.

I held a breath, watching him.

"I will give it to her," he managed to speak, nodding to himself.

He seemed, disoriented.

His gaze met mine once more, and they paused, becoming softer. Dashing from my eyes to lower—

And I felt the urge to hide my lips, pursing them.

His eyes returned to mine, "I mean to say...It will be delivered."

I noticed his tone was gentle, laced with assurance.

My gaze dropped to the glittery envelope in his hand, then back to his eyes.

"I give you my word," he continued quietly.

I clenched my jaw not knowing what to think of it, but I nodded anyway, "Right. Thank you."

His eyes kept mine hostage, simply staring.

My hand became sweaty at the silence and I opted to finally enter the car once more.

"Silver, I-"

I turned back to him at those words, surprised the conversation had not ended, and just in time to catch him swaying as he lost his balance so abruptly, It was simply by instinct, a mere reflex, that I lent him my strength.