[45.1] THE ESCAPE (part-one)

[SILVER RAYNE WILLIAMS]

I peered over the balcony ledge, watching the shine of sleek black cars pull to the front of Fang Court through the balcony window. They gleamed obsidian in the moonlight and reflected the glamourous lights of Fang Court.

Lord Graydon had returned.

My gaze dropped to my watch. Almost nine.

Just in time.

Stepping back into the shadows, I closed the balcony doors, drawing the curtain.

I paused, noting that my heart was beating fast.

But now was not the time to second guess myself. Yes, my plan had many, many holes I just did not have enough time to figure out.

But one thing was for certain.

I had to leave with Vella. Leaving her here was not an option. There was no going back now.

It would be okay.

I could do this.

Moving towards the bed, I opened Dad's kit, lining my jacket pockets with the Vials I had chosen.

Silver bombs, foggers, Numbing gas, hysteria, the doubler, All vials I was cleared to have, that had been packed in an easily accessible section on Dad's Kit.

I had participated in making many of these vials, these were the ones Dad was fine with letting me in.

These had more or less natural substances and some rare ones but nothing particularly supernatural. All science. Advanced but science never the less.

Oh, to be blessed with Dad's brain would have been a gift, but no— I did not possess all the genius traits that he had been dealt with.

My fingers skimmed across the hushgas and project K. These were Dads.

Vials that only he could use, that only he prepared. With ingredients he kept from my eyes.

I took out the hush gas, tucking it into my pockets. Next was Project K. It was the only one from the H.E. section I was comfortable with taking. The rest were.. Worse.

I shuddered, not thinking too much about it.

At least with Death came peace and rest but with the other vials, the potential effects were quite unimaginable.

I gritted my teeth.

Temporary death was certainly not an easy thing, And who was to tell it was temporary?

The Vial was marked H.E.  For a reason.

This meant there were no trials for it. It could go the other way pretty fast.

My fingers clenched around it, before sliding it into my jacket carefully. I let out a loose breath. How stupid this plan was, incredibly stupid.

So many things could go wrong. Many things I had not even anticipated. I shut my eyes tapping my forehead to get my head back in the game.

The only person I would be putting at risk if the plan fell through was me. Vella would be safe regardless. She was sworn to Hunter. A Veridian under his protection.

Dad always had a backup plan for everything.  I knew how to reach him once I got back to Colins. fingers crossed the Damned didn't attack us before I reached him.

Stupid, stupid.

I shook my head free of these thoughts. I just needed a day. One day.

The odds were in my favor.