𝑌𝐸𝐴𝑅 𝑆𝐼𝑋 ☆ 18

The appeared on the top of the astronomy tower as day was dawning. Rosalyn supported Dumbledore, who was still weak from drinking the potion. She sat him down on the tower, scared for him.

"Severus," Dumbledore hissed. "Go and wake Severus, tell him what happened, bring him to me. Go and find Severus, Rosalyn, and speak to no one else."

Rosalyn nodded weakly, and ran towards the steps that descended below the tower. But then everything changed.

A door opened downstairs, and Dumbledore suddenly froze. For a second, he and Rosalyn stared into each other's eyes, and the girl knew that the 'find Severus' plan had been scrapped. "Hide yourself below," Dumbledore told her. "Hide yourself and don't reveal where you are."

And, unknowingly obeying the last command he would give, Rosalyn descended below the tower. She was alone, but she could see everything that was going on.

It only took a few seconds before Rosalyn and Dumbledore were not the only ones on the tower. And a few more before the newcomer became unmasked.

"Good evening, Draco," Dumbledore said politely. "What brings you here on this fine night?"

"Who else is here?" Malfoy asked in a voice that sounded (no matter how much Rosalyn tried to dispute it) close to tears. "I heard you talking!"

"I often talk aloud to myself," Dumbledore continued calmly. "You see, I find it very useful. Do you talk to yourself, Draco?"

As Rosalyn finally found a place where she could see, she gasped at Malfoy's face. It was contorted in pain, misery and longing.

"Draco, you are no assassin..." Dumbledore started.

"How do you know?" Draco quickly. "You don't know what I've done!"

"Yes, I do, you almost killed Katie Bell and Ronald Weasley. You have been trying, with increasing desperation, to kill me all year. Forgive me, these actions have been so weak that I wonder if your heart has really been in it..."

"He trusted me! I was chosen!"

With that, he pulled up his left sleeve to reveal the dark mark, branded upon his forearm. Rosalyn knew that he was a death eater. Though, at this point, she wasn't really sure if she felt smug or sorry.

Dumbledore sighed. "Then I shall make it easy for you-"

"Expelliarmus!"

Dumbledore's wand flew out of his hand, but the Headmaster made no attempt to go and collect it. Rosalyn sighed. She and Dumbledore knew the same thing. Draco would not kill Dumbledore that night.

Suddenly, a door opened downstairs. Rosalyn raised her wand, and Dumbledore asked Draco yet another question. "We are not alone tonight, are we?"

"No, there are death eaters in your school tonight!" Draco said rather smugly.

Dumbledore was silent for a second, before uttering one word. "How?"

"The vanishing cabinet in the room of requirement!" Malfoy spat out. So Arthur was right, Rosalyn thought.

"Ah yes, it has a sister, a twin..." Dumbledore sighed.

"Borgin and Burke's!" Malfoy shouted.

But Dumbledore was taking a step back from this. "But Draco... years ago, I knew a boy who made all the wrong choices, please let me help you..."

"I don't want your help!" Malfoy yelled. He was properly crying now. "Don't you understand? I have to do it! I have to kill you! Or he's gonna kill me..."