Chapter 88

*Fami's P.O.V*

With the food ready, we put Grace back in her seat and this time attach her food tray instead of the toy one, to her visible disappointment. I ignore her fussing though and slide her seat over so she will be in easy reach of my chair when I finally sit down. I next go and retrieve a cute bib that reads "mommy's messy eater" before quickly tying it around Grace's neck, distracting her with this new, sudden object.

With that done, I go collect all our food and put it all in front of my seat, not trusting Grace to leave any of it on her tray and not on the ground. I smile as it looks like I'm about to eat a feast with everything now in front of me.

Grace of course reaches for one of the bowls, trying her best to try and get it. I grab her hand, giving it a kiss which earns a babble of protest as she tries to jerk her hand out of mine with a frown.

"Oh I know, mama is so mean because she knows that you're trying to throw that bowl across the room and won't let you do that," I coo as I sit down.

"Oh let the poor girl have her fun," Matias says, making me roll my eyes.

"Only if you want to be the one to scrub the entire kitchen clean," I tell Matias, seeing that he doesn't seem to understand just how messy Grace will be.

"Fine, ruin our poor Gracie's fun," Matias says as he tickles Grace, making her squirm as she swats at his hands with an annoyed sounding babble. When he stops, she reaches for the bowl again.

"I know, baby. You must be hungry after your long day, huh," I say as I scoop up some of the whipped peanut butter and mashed banana, bringing the spoon to Grace's lips. She keeps her mouth tightly shut, making me sigh.

"Let an expert show you how to do it," Matias stands up, moving over to take the spoon from me.

"Here comes the airplane," he says as he brings the spoon to Grace's mouth. Even with his added sound effects she doesn't even attempt to open her mouth. I chuckle as he stands there, looking at Grace with a pout as she even turns away from him.

"Here, let me try again," I say as I take the spoon back and pretend to eat some of it. Grace whines at that, reaching for the spoon as she opens her mouth.

I bring the spoon up to her mouth, managing to get her to eat some of it. She smacks her tongue against the roof of her mouth, making peanut butter and banana fall onto her bib and then onto the tray.

"Is it yummy?" I ask as I keep feeding her, not sure if more falls on the tray or ends up in her tummy. She doesn't seem to care about the mess she is making though, her hands mashing the purée all over her tray even more.

"Here," Matias catches my attention and holds up a forkful of gnocchi to my mouth. I raise an eyebrow but accept the bite, a small smile on my lips.

"What was that for?" I ask curiously, making him shrug his shoulders.

"Just wanted to make sure you get to eat some of your food while it's warm. I have to make sure my baby is fed too," Matias says. I smile at that, leaning over to press a quick kiss to his lips. He smiles as he deepens the kiss, only pulling away when Grace bangs on the tray.

"Mamamamama," Grace babbles, making me smile.

"Are you saying mama? Such a smart baby girl you are," I coo as I lean close to her to press a kiss to her forehead. She squeals, grabbing at me and trying to cling on. I chuckle as she smears her peanut butter and banana all over me.

"I know, you want out of this high chair so badly, don't you? Just can't wait to spread your mess everywhere," I say as I give her the mostly empty bowl of banana and peanut butter. She babbles happily, sticking her fingers in the bowl before shoving them into her mouth.

I chuckle softly as I let her do that, taking a bite out of my dinner while she plays with her leftover purée. I'll give her some of the apple or strawberry in a minute but I'm trying to decide if I should let her feed herself or not.

Sure it would inevitably cause a mess but it would also keep her entertained. I sigh as I set the bowl on her tray, watching as she immediately flings the spoon across the kitchen and smashes her hands into it. Her squeals of delight make me somewhat happy but I can tell that she is going to have that purée all over herself very soon.

Grace goes suspiciously silent for a little bit and I pray it's nothing too serious, seeing as I only take my eyes off her for a moment to eat. When I look back, her face is practically in her bowl. She's trying to use her hand to scoop the purée into her mouth as fast as she can. I pull the bowl back slightly, earning a grunt of protest from Grace as she grabs at my hands and the bowl.

It soon becomes clear that her little grunts are for another reason though as the smell hits me. She fusses as she squirms for a moment, making me wonder if she would need to be done eating for now so I can change her. However, she doesn't seem to mind the fact that's she messed her diaper after her squirming so I decide to let her finish eating since she'll just go straight in the bath after dinner anyway. Plus, it gives me the opportunity to ignore that lovely surprise in her diaper for just a bit longer.

Grace also continues to smear her dinner all over her face, something I look away from so that I can finish eating before her and immediately give her that much needed bath.

"Grace, don't you..." I hear Matias start to warn and I turn my head just in time to see Grace dump her purée into her lap. I sigh softly, Grace looking at me as she grins triumphantly. It's such an innocent smile, one that shows just how happy she is so I can't find it in myself to even be mad at her.

"You just enjoy being oh so messy for mama and dada, don't you?" I ask, making Grace bounce as she reaches for me. She's clearly done waiting and wants my attention again. I pull her seat closer, letting her sticky hands grab onto my hand as I try to finish eating. She smears purée all up and down my arm, cooing happily which makes me chuckle softly knowing it will now be 2 people needing a bath once she is done.

"I pray for the day that she decides her dada is her favorite person in the world and is attached to your hip all day. Maybe then her very smelly behind will be your responsibility to clean up," I tell Matias, making him shutter.

"I pray for that to never happen. You can stay the favorite if that is the price," he says. A scoff escapes me at that as I finish eating, getting up and removing the tray from the seat. Grace tugs at her buckles, not able to get them undone so I get a washcloth and wet it, making sure it's warm before I try to clean her up somewhat. She grunts in protest, trying to grab it and toss it away. I use that opportunity to wipe her hands off and get some of the purée off her lap.

"Then you sir, get the pleasure of cleaning up our mess of a kitchen after letting a little miss someone have her way in it. Isn't that right, baby?" I say as I unbuckle her and scoop her up, patting her sagging bottom. She clings to me, her tiny hands buried into my shirt as Matias groans.

"Come on baby, let's get out of your dada's way and get you out of this diapee before it explodes on us!" I tell a bouncing Grace as I carry her out of the kitchen, one step closer to getting her asleep in bed