Chapter 2

New game idea. At the end of this chapter guess if this was mostly written by me or my CG.

*Grace's P.O.V*

I had loaded my luggage up onto the bus before boarding it. I had never taken a bus like this so I had done my research by looking up everything I should possibly know. It had cost me about $350 plus it was a thirty hour trip. I could have bought a plane ticket for the same price but I was scared of heights so flying was a big no go.

I had bought a power bank to keep my phone charged throughout the trip. I kept my headphones in after the first couple of hours, just listening to music on repeat. The music was the only thing that kept me from going crazy since I was sitting next to a stranger the whole time. Luckily I had brought my wire headphones since my bluetooth ones would have died about three hours into the trip.

What no one tells you about these trips is that the more impatient you are, the longer they seem to take. I didn't think I was all that impatient yet the first nine hours seemed to last forever. I hadn't thought about the fact that we would have plenty of stops. I had to fend off texts from Zahira and Elena being nosy about what I was doing.

My surprise was nearly blown when my mother called in the middle of the ride. Never in all my years of having a phone had I declined a call from my mother, it was like a death wish. She had warned me that if I ever declined a call that she would drive out to wherever I was staying and first make sure I was okay before knocking some sense into me.

"Hello... mo-mother," I answer the phone, cursing at how formal I sound. I never spoke to her that way, she would know something is up.

"Hello, Grace, baby. What are you doing? Are you busy?" she asks. I can hear chatter in the background and I know the first voice I hear well. It is Zahira and I can hear the sound of Jazmin, her toddler, giggling and squealing. I can hear our father as well, the sound of his laughing.

"I... I am... at a dinner with Ashley and a few of her friends... I can't really talk right now..." I tell her, hoping my lie wasn't too obvious.

"A dinner? Hmmm... that wouldn't explain why you have been acting so weird lately, would it?" My mom asks, questioning my behavior.

"Wh... what?" Is all I can ask back, clearly confused by what she means. At least this time I'm not faking anything.

"Zahira and Elena, baby. They have been asking if I know why you have been so mysterious and weird lately. You have them worried something is wrong, baby. I know nothing is wrong because you would come to me if that was the case... right? Right?" She asks with a bit of authority in her tone. Oh course Zahira and Elena snitched on me.

"I... I'm not sure... what you mean, mother." Crap, why am I so formal again. When do I ever call her mother? And why can't I talk in full sentences! "As far as I know... I haven't... been acting weird... mo...m...my..." I can't help but groan to myself after saying that. Why am I always so obvious! Learn to lie Grace. It's not very hard. After a moment of silence between us, my mother finally responds.

"I see what they mean... are we done with this charade or does... mommy... need to start threatening you first?" My mom says, the playfulness gone from her voice.

"Come on, child, we don't have all day... we both have better things to do besides sit on this phone call being quiet... What is it? What is going on over there? Is it a boy? Did you finally find yourself a boyfriend?" Mom continues once I take too long to think of something to say.

"What? No! Why would... no, I don't have a boyfriend." I tell her.

"Fine... is it a girlfriend then?" She asks, flooring me.

"You... huh? You think I'm gay!?" I say a bit too loudly, blushing as I look around the bus. No one seems to care though.

"Well it would explain your lack of interest in finding a boyfriend... and you always seemed a bit too close to certain "girlfriends", if I'm being honest. I just want you to know that we love you either way. Who you decide to be happy with won't..." she says before I can't take it anymore and cut her off.

"Moootherrr!" I hiss at her, flustered.

"I'm not... I'm not... I don't... you are so annoying! I can't believe you think I'm gay! Ashley and I are just friends! We are close because we lived together... that's all! I'm not a lesbain, mom!"

"Fine... fine. You seem pretty defensive for it just being a question though... let's see, how do the young people phase it? Do you... play both sides of the field then?" My mother asks, not letting this conversation go.

"What does... both... are you asking if I'm bi? No! I'm not bi, mother. I'm straight... I think... I'm just not... I don't look at women and feel an attraction, alright? Happy now!?" I snap at her.

"So much attitude for just a simple question... you just never seem to date, Grace, dear. We can't help but wonder why. You being... would help explain some things, is all." My mother explains. I try to take deep breaths to release some of the frustration this conversation is causing. It somewhat helps.

"I go on dates, mother. Rarely, yes... but I do date... boys!... men, i mean... I do go on dates with men. I just don't find them worth my time, okay? Nor am I going to write home about every guy I had 1 date with. Can we drop this now? Please!!?" I beg her. This was not the conversation I thought I would have on a bus ride home.

"Fine... Just remember we would love you the same no matter who you love, Grace." My mother continues, despite my protests.

"For the last time, mom... I'm not gay." I say with a defeated sigh.

"I know, baby, but you never know. Maybe one day..." my mom starts to say.

"Mother... mom... please! Enough... surely this isn't the reason you called me for. Can we please just move to that point... Please!!" I say, begging her to drop it already. Never in a million years did I think I would have to convince my own mother that I was indeed straight... over the phone... on a bus. What has my life come too.