Chapter 29

*Grace's P.O.V*

After being carried back into the living room, I feel myself passed off to daddy as I'm placed on his lap.

"Who is this cutie you are giving me and what did you do with our daughter? Did you trade her for someone else's child again? I keep telling you that you have to stop doing that, dear. Last thing we need is the cops poking around our property." Daddy says in an exasperated manner as he accepts me onto his lap and starts bouncing me, earning an eye roll from mommy and a giggle from me.

"What? Afraid they are going to find that body you hid in the back, dear?" Mommy says to him very deadpan.

"Shhh... what if someone's listening! You don't just announce to the world where you hid the body! That's murder one oh one... haven't you learned that by now!?" Daddy says, quickly scanning the surroundings for bystanders, really getting into character.

"Plus, I'm not the one that left with our pajama wearing, messy hair little girl and came back with this clean, absolute cutie of a little girl with perfectly done hair." Daddy says.

"Dadddy... it's me! Grace! Mommy didn't do anything with me!" I tell him, still giggling as I bounce on his lap.

"Grace!? It's really you!? Why didn't you say so soon!? I thought for sure mommy replaced you with someone else and I was going to have to hunt you down!" Daddy says pulling me close to pepper my face in kisses, making me laugh harder. His stubble really tickles!! I try to push him away but he keeps overpowering me. Eventually mommy saves me by pulling me off him and back to her hip, inspecting me.

"Enough, Matias! I need to go so I can be back in time to get her ready for bed. I will not start her new routines off with them being later than scheduled. I also spent way too much time and effort getting her changed and her hair perfect for you to ruin it in the first minute." Mommy threatens while inspecting if anything is out of place. Finding nothing too serious, she gives me back to daddy.

"It wasn't that serious, love. We were just playing around and nothing happened. " Daddy says and I know that look from mommy, daddy is in trou~ble!!

"Not... serious? Did you really just tell me my worries weren't serious about my... our daughter, Matias?" Mommy asks him in a calm but warning tone.

"Because if you did, let me make something very clear... you got lucky. Lucky she just went potty or you would be cleaning up the mess from her accident and you both would need an immediate bath. I just changed her out of the pullup, Matias, and now you want to risk an accident? Do you remember the last time you took tickling too far with her? Because I do... The way she cried in my arms is ingrained in my mind, Matias. You know she has a weak bladder and you love to constantly test its limits." Mommy informs daddy, sounding very mad.

"Don't you dare try to argue otherwise. How many times has she had an accident on a trip because you refused to listen to me that we needed to stop for her? How many times when I'm driving the same distance? It's amazing how we always make it in the same amount of time too. It's always the same excuses too... we don't have time... we're almost there... she hasn't asked to stop... and it always ends with ME cleaning up the mess YOU caused because you think I don't Know OUR DAUGHTER, MATIAS!" Mommy says, yelling at the end.

"I TOLD YOU SHE WASN'T READY TO LIVE ON HER OWN YET! I TOLD YOU! YOU... YOU CONVINCED ME TO LET HER GO! I WARNED YOU SHE NEEDED TO STAY LOCAL SO WE COULD KEEP AN EYE ON HER. SO WE... WE COULD MAKE SURE SHE IS SAFE. YOU PROMISED ME YOU WOULD HELP ME TRANSFER HER THE FIRST SIGN OF SOMETHING WRONG! LOOK AT HER, MATIAS! LOOK AT GRACE, OUR DAUGHTER, AND TELL ME I AM OVERREACTING!! " Mommy screams at daddy, making us both flinch back.

I was not expecting daddy to be in this much trouble but mommy's... mom's emotional dam, so to speak, seems to have overfilled or collapsed as she releases everything she has been holding back onto dad. I look at Dad and he meets my eyes before inspecting me and then looking back at mom. He is a lot braver than me but mom did just tell me I needed to work on doing exactly what he is. Taking a gulp, I force myself to look back at mom. It's a struggle and I'm not even the one in trouble, that's how angry mom looks right now.